Never Thought I'd See One Of These.....Egg w/in a Egg (Pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Patchesnposies, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    As we waited for our first pullets to begin laying a few years ago, we heard/read all about the weird types of eggs hens can lay. Heck, since then we have even had a few.....those odd rubbery ones without the shell....eensy weensy "fart" eggs with no yolk....HUGE eggs that make you wince just looking at them and set you off on a search for a hen nursing a sore bottom.....but I'd only ever heard about the EGG WITHIN an EGG phenomenon.

Today my son came running in with an OMG look on his face carrying an egg that I was sure a goose laid. Except that it was brown and we don't have any geese.

I took pictures of it compared to some of our other eggs for the sake of posterity and then set it aside to show my DH when he got home. Once papa had duly exclaimed over it, the kids were clamoring for me to crack it open and see how many yolks it held, so I opened it.....and to our great surprise and delight it was an egg within an egg!

I have no idea how common or uncommon this egg w/in a egg phenomenon is or whether it was laid by one of our geriatric hens or a pullet, but I am happy to think that we have had one land right in one of our own nesting boxes.

Here are some pictures of it before and after cracking it open. (If I had known what was in there I would have gone about cracking it a little more gently!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The regular sized egg inside the large egg had a good quantity of white in there with it, and upon open the smaller egg we found a normal egg yolk and white.

[​IMG]

Pretty cool, eh?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is way cool!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That's a whopper! Next time, blow it out and save it and decorate it, LOL. Does the yolk match the size of the egg? Or is it regular size?

4. Tangeygirl

Tangeygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] very cool!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wow. That IS very cool!

Just goes to show ya that egg laying is a biological process and not a mechanical one. Each and every one is unique, and some are far more interesting and unusual than others. Some glitch in the process caused the inner egg to be encased in a second eggshell along with some albumen. Nifty!

(Hope it didn't hurt a lot when it was passed!)

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

Poor girl, that's a whopper sized egg.

eta: Very cool to see [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  7. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:Could I have done that with there being one egg inside the other? As klutzy as I am I would surely break the whole shebang even trying!

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Very interesting! I feel for the poor girlie though, ow ow ow.[​IMG]

9. bruinfan

bruinfan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    That is a whopper of an egg!!! Give that gal the day off tomorrow.

10. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:That is what I thought too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by