1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Never thougth it would happen: Dog just killed our first chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nifty-Chicken, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Just 5 minutes ago this happened.

I was writing an email to a fellow BYCer and heard a SLAM into our sliding glass door. I thought it was my 2 year old getting into mischief, but then I heard my 2 year old say, "A doggy at our chicken!"

I ran over to see a big white husky dog carrying our very first chicken, a black australorp / RIR mix away. I ran after it and the dog dropped the chicken which struggled for a minute then died. I chased the dog away and I think I know where it lives.

We have a very secure fenced in area for the hens and then a wide yard, then another fence that isn't as secure. The chicken flew out of the first area and the dog got into the second area.

I've NEVER seen stray dogs anywhere around us and I guess this is just another one of those learning experiences (like when the coons got a hen). The constant battle between allowing chickens a bit of freedom and predators that are anxious to have at them.

I don't think I'll trouble to go after the neighbors. I may tell them what happened and tell them to fix their fence and make sure their dog stays in their yard or it might get a pellet sting to it's side if it comes into our yard again.

Here is the story of our very first hen if anybody is interested:
    http://www.nifty-stuff.com/new-chickens.php

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I am so sorry to hear this! I know it must be so hard for you right now. [​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    gosh, that is too bad. and a super special chicken, to boot.

sorry to see this post. [​IMG]

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Oh man so sorry to hear that. I have been wanting to get a chicken yard set up on about 1/8 of an acre on our place and have been putting it off. I know that if I wait too long it's only a matter of time until I have stuff like this happen. Sorry it happened to you.

5. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Oh I'm sorry Nifty, it's always hard when one has to leave in a flash.

[​IMG]

-jenny

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    sorry for your loss nifty !

7. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Crud [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

ya man,, that sux,, i woke up the monday morning at 4am to 2 dogs getting at my roo.

and it IS a constant battle to let them have some freedom, and keep them safe [​IMG]

i feel for ya man.

9. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] sorry about your birdy

10. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Awww, so sorry. [​IMG] Definitely let the neighbors know. You're having such a good attitude about it, and that would certainly be received well by the dog's owner...or should be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by