Neverending mites

arimenthe

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Note: I am struggling with respiratory problems due to a virus this spring - powders are going to be really hard to use.

hello I have been fighting mites all summer and with the migration of wild birds in our area we suddenly have a ton of what I think are northern fowl mites everywhere.

I'm in Oregon and we've had smoke problems and all kinds of weird weather and a lot of people have been complaining about pretty terrible mite problems.

Traditionally I've used elector PSP as it's so efficient and I've been doing it every two weeks the last month and a half and then found these new mites yesterday. I had gone 3 weeks between treating hoping that it would be okay because of the smoke.

I'm beginning to wonder if the electric PSP has expired or has gone bad because I sprayed everything with a higher concentration of it and I'm still seeing mites crawl out of things and where I had thrown hay in the compost bin there are scads of them and I don't want to throw elector into my compost because it will kill all the good stuff in there.

I've only used elector before and usually only had to use it once a year in the fall so I don't have a clue what to use on the birds and the coop right now.

Somebody please help me because they got all over me and it was gross and I just want to scream.

I've heard that lime can help and that I could use ivermectin pour on to provide the birds with some relief and I could definitely re-whitewash the coop...

But I'm not familiar with the other products designed to kill mites and I need to get this problem under control. Halp?

Last edited:
hello I have been fighting mites all summer and with the migration of wild birds in our area we suddenly have a ton of what I think are northern fowl mites everywhere.

I'm in Oregon and we've had smoke problems and all kinds of weird weather and a lot of people have been complaining about pretty terrible mite problems.

Traditionally I've used elector PSP as it's so efficient and I've been doing it every two weeks the last month and a half and then found these new mites yesterday. I had gone 3 weeks between treating hoping that it would be okay because of the smoke.

I'm beginning to wonder if the electric PSP has expired or has gone bad because I sprayed everything with a higher concentration of it and I'm still seeing mites crawl out of things and where I had thrown hay in the compost bin there are scads of them and I don't want to throw elector into my compost because it will kill all the good stuff in there.

I've only used elector before and usually only had to use it once a year in the fall so I don't have a clue what to use on the birds and the coop right now.

Somebody please help me because they got all over me and it was gross and I just want to scream.

I've heard that lime can help and that I could use ivermectin pour on to provide the birds with some relief and I could definitely re-whitewash the coop...

But I'm not familiar with the other products designed to kill mites and I need to get this problem under control. Halp?
Sevin dust and frontline spray. Problem solved. Neither are approved for poultry use as you’ll soon be told 50 times but they both work and your problem will be gone by the next day.
Make a powder puff from sevin dust with pantyhose and dust the birds really well all over under their wings, belly around the vent etc. Then spritz each bird once under each wing and above or below but not on the vent with frontline spray.

Last edited:
Permethrin is overused and is nowhere near as effective as it used to be. There’s plenty of studies I have already provided links to over the years that state this.
If it was so effective there would not be so many posts stating the opposite. Lol

Trust me. Sprinkle de ( diatamatious earth) liberally on the birds and under their feathers and all over the bedding in the coop and within days, no more mites. It shreds them but harmless to the birds. Just be carful of the dust tho for you and the birds.

That's a shame about the Elector because that stuff's not cheap! I use permethrin spray on the coop and the dust on the birds. It works for me.

permethrin.jpg

Is your psp stored in a cool dark place?? It breaks down when stored warm and exposed to uv.

I’ve found that smoke actually makes fleas and mites more of an issue. I agree with weekly sprays. I sprayed my pullets with .50% solution as well as my coop. Repeated 6 days later. Then once a week I spray just the coop. I haven’t found a mite inside the coop since.

Elkton, OR location.

Back
Top Bottom