1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Nevermind.............................

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffanyh, Feb 27, 2008.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi all.

I am in CT. I recently -actually my hen- recently hatched out 6 chicks. They are 3 weeks old. SHe has rasied babies from me before- 3 sets last spring. Anyway, they have been in my basement in a dog kennel since hatch, but it stays dark down there as it is an old house and there are no window. I woudl like to move them out for fresh air.

I am hoping to move them into the shed, that way they can peck around the shed (dirt floor) during the day with the door shut and get put in the kennel at night again.

The temps in CT are low at night (the next couple days very low! but I am thinking for this weekend) usually in the 20's but they would be with mom. I am not comfortable putting a heat lamp out there as it is dry and it is where I keep my hay stored for my goats.

My gut feeling is that chicks have been hatched outside for a long time without my help! But I want them to be safe.

Thanks --Tiffany

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Sounds too cold.. [​IMG] sorry

3. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

4. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

5. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    if a chick wandered out of the coop into the cold and couldnt find its way back in, its a death sentence

6. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]

7. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I havent done it, but i'd be cool to know how it works out for ya! I say go for it. she'll raise them better than any person could, despite our best efforts.

8. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    :|

9. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    :|

10. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have to say this since it has been driving me nuts..... enough that I am questioning my participation.

...I have been on this forum almost a year. I answer lots of questions, try to help, welcome people, support people and listen to people.

How come my post with a legit chicken question gets NO ATTENTION while other posts that are just games, or crocgirls, or talking about zits, or smiley faces get page after page of responses?

Yes, I am a hypocrite because I have urged people in the past when upset about this not to worry about it, etc. but now I have to agree. It is frusterating for certain people or favs to get tons of help and support and for the rest of us (even though we have been here just as long and as actively) to get ignored. Almost like a high school clique.... [​IMG]

Makes you not really want to help at all in the future.

Just my $0.02 .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by