New 2 Guineas Please help answer this question

bald k9

Songster
10 Years
Sep 5, 2009
Rural Edwardsville
Hello I have been searching for info online but cant find a real answer, my question is if i get 6 day old keets and i get more males than females will they still get along or do i need to make equal pairs, also can you safely have more than one male,
hu.gif
or or they like chickens you only want maybe one rooster! does that make sense? thanks for the help

With Guineas it isn't as important as it is with chickens. They will chase and knock each other around but that is more during breeding season. They will function as a unit when the flock is threatened so the more the merrier.

My adult flock has six females and ten males at the moment.

They will not pair up per color if you want them to breed true to color you will need to pair them up and keep them separated. I have had guineas for a long time and I can tell you it is difficult to know a lot about their breeding habits as they are quite private about it.

In my group there was one cock that was definitely the dominant one. I assumed he bred most of the females he wanted and the underlings took care of the rest. You should have one cock for every four to five females, at least that worked for me.

I had many cocks at one time and though they sort of got after each other, they are so quick and nimble they never seemed to do any damage to each other. I kept mine with my chickens for about a year with no problem, after that during the breeding season my cocks started beating the daylights out of my roosters and my hens.

They can get very aggressive that is for sure.

With guineas you should be prepared for just about anything. If you arent one to roll with the punches it could be a long relationship.

How close are you neighbors LOL

If you get all different colors they will breed in a very mixed up way and you can get just about anything. One pen per pair during breeding season if you want to keep colors intact

Im not in it for the breeding I just think they are really interesting looking birds,I just dont want to buy a bunch[25 min order] of keets and raise them and keep the girls and try to find homes for the rest, I dont have the room for that, thats why i asked can a small group of 4 to 6 live ok together if the sexes are not even? And I got four yesterday but i can go get about 2 more if that would help even things out what do you think? Thanks for all this QUICK help and responses this is a great site

Quote:
I see mine quite often in the act of breeding. I know I had always heard it was a rare occurrence to actually witness the act but around here they just don't seem to care.

I have two that are the flock leaders. Have you ever noticed that the lead bird is never engaged in any of the craziness the rest of them get up to?

And this couldn't be any truer when it comes to Guineas where you said, "With guineas you should be prepared for just about anything. If you arent one to roll with the punches it could be a long relationship."

If any one asks you if you would ever be without them I'd bet money that your answer would be no.

Quote:
When my flock grew I found the flock dynamic changed for the better. They were more apt to leave my chickens alone, they functioned better as a flock.

I started with 2 males and 1 female, and it was OK. I did have to lock one flock leader up to cool his jets for a day but after that things settled down. Now the original two males lead the flock.

Back
Top Bottom