1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New 2 Raisng Chikns

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by XtremeRooster, Aug 5, 2013.

1. XtremeRooster

XtremeRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

My wife says lets get some chickens, so I went and bought 14 of them, 12 RIR hens and 2 Barred Rock roosters. They grew faster than I can get the coop built. I have been sick twice since getting them, just having a run of bad luck. I got a cage, they outgrew that, built a brooder, they outgrew that. I left my garage door open big mistake chickens roosted and pooped on everything.

I'm trying to get the coop built and I got a staph infection on my leg. The doctors treated it with a bunch of antibiotics. This cured the staff and then gave me c-diff A-B toxin. That is a nasty bug, I'm taking very xpensive antibiotics to try and cure that. Thankfully my son is helping with the chickens while I've been sick. If I can't get better soon I may have to get rid of the chickens and try again later.

I was working hard on recycling an old farm trailer into a chikn tractor when I got sick. I'm still working full time so it is hard to try and recover and work too. Anyway I am putting it all in the Lord's hands right now. <><

//xtc//

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Xtreme Rooster, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck...hope you have all of that behind you soon. One thing down the road...you may have one too many roosters for that many hens. Good ratio is rooster per ten or so hens. They boys may fight or overbreed the hens...just saying. Good luck to you!

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your chickens, hope you can get the coop built soon.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site but I'm sorry to hear that you have been so ill :(

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009