New 2 week old Pekin Duckling, Help!

pooponshoe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 26, 2007
Saint Augustine, FL
I got today from feed store, he/she was in the wire cage with baby chicks and was looking a bit beat up. I had to get him out of there. I have medicated grower crumbles or non-medicated layer. Which would be best for now?

I would give it some light for warmth! Water deep enough for it to clean out it's nostrils but so it can't swim in it.
I I would use the layer crushed up, till you could get unmedicated feed!
Brenda

Yes definatly some warmth but it doesn't need to be as warm as baby chicks...I would say around 70-80 would be good. As long as you have him inside out of the weather he will be fine..
He will also attatch to you pretty quickly, they imprint on humans when they are raised by them. He will just love you to pieces! Pekins are a very friendly breed of duck, so you will have a nice little pet. If you decide to let him swim, make is shallow enough for his little feet to touch the bottom, but deep enough for him to paddle along. Many say not to let them swim at all until they are fully feathered but wild ducks take their babies in soon after hatching,so a short little swim in warm water would be fine. The only thing is that since they are not water proof yet, they will get water logged so swim time needs to be for a short period until he gets a little bigger! And as mentioned above..make sure the water in his crate is shallow. Don't keep a tub in there for swimming...you can either get a cat litter box or just fill the sink or tub with warm water for swimming. All he should have in there with him is his food and water dish/feeder. In the bottom I would put paper towels on top of news paper until he gets a little bigger....you will find it will get pretty messy .....LOL

If you have any other questions, just let me know and I will try to help you as much as possible...
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom