1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New 3 day old chick with bleeding beak - won't eat or drink :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheChickenCameFirst, Aug 4, 2011.

1. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got a new order of chicks in the mail this morning, and one of the little barred rock chicks is having a hard time. She has a red and bleeding area on the top of her beak right near her nostrils. I've seen this before, with our other chicks, but in addition this poor little girl wont eat or drink, and just sits and peeps her HEAD off. She's only quiet and sleeps when I hold her. She seems peppy enough, pecks at my fingers.

Is there anything I should do? The others pick at her beak, and I'm worried about how the night will go.

Thanks for any advice!

2. TheChickenCameFirst

No advice from anyone? [​IMG] I' worried about the poor thing. Should I put something on her beak? should I be sure to keep her separated from the other 11 chicks?

I'd really appreciate some help! [​IMG]

3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:I haven't had an issue with this but I would suggest some neosporin and separation for a bit from the others, if there is a check that doesn't peck at it perhaps place that one in with her? I just wish I knew more about something like this. [​IMG]

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I would also suggest separating her so she can heal, maybe you can put a divider in your brooder so she can still see the others too. You can also get Blue Kote at the feed store and put it on her beak, this will essentially block the red color of her wound so the others won't pick on her. I would also feed her some scrambled or boiled and mashed egg, and maybe some plain yogurt. The extra protein will hopefully get her energy levels up so she can eat and drink on her own. You can also get her to drink using a dropper. Good luck! I hope she gets better soon.

5. TheChickenCameFirst

Thanks so much to both of you! [​IMG]

I really appreciate it. I have her divided in the brooder, and I may put another chick in with her! I had never heard of Blue Kote, I'll have to pick some up. I will put Neosporin on it for now! I was wondering if that would help! And yogurt and egg... shall do! I'd hate to lose her right after I get her!

Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by