New 3-sided Coop/run combo Build *Updated Pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mediazeal, Apr 5, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Updated pics in post 6.

Last weekend we poured the concrete slab. (too many posts that scared me about predators so decided on slab floor)
    [​IMG]

And this weekend we got most of the framing done. This is going to be a 3 sided coop/run combo 8ft by 16ft for 6-10 hens.
    [​IMG]

It's out back under an oak tree. Long side that is partly not framed in is facing east. Side by fence is south. Oak tree will provide afternoon shade.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One 'end' (8ft by 8ft) will have plywood on 3 sides and open down the middle. The other end enclosed in hardware cloth.
    Live in central Calif, so warm enough for this kind of coop.

East side will have door about mid-side and see the framing for the egg box on the left (long empty rectangle in last photo)

Depending on the hawk attack potential, I may fence in the back section this is in with deer fence (all area behind grass) to let them free range all day. There is lots of cover with rose bushes and trees.

Here is the slideshow of the progress so far.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I absolutely love it so far...looks like it's going to be a great design! One of my favorite parts is the garden all around and the little arbor on the path to the coop. How cool is that? [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Your hens will love it. Especially ranging with the (are those tomato plants)? [​IMG]

4. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Oh good, I'm glad you think they will enjoy living there. Most of those bushes are rose bushes and a few crepe myrtle. Oak tree, almond trees (that the squirrels completely strip) in the shots.

Raised beds vegie garden is to the right of the grass area (front half of yard) and away from the coop.

I will have to make a 'flat' of grass with hardware cloth over the top of it to put in the coop so they have grass to nibble and a dishpan with 'dust' for dust baths. The entire back area has ground cover of shredded bark. There are a few fruit trees as well back there (peach, nectarine and apricot).

I could let them into the grass area but only with close supervision from hawks and my dogs would have to be in the house. They killed a skunk in my yard once (ewwwwwwwwww) so I know not to trust them with peeps.

I'll post more pics as we work on it. It is still a couple of weeks away from finished but the eggs aren't hatched so I"m not in trouble yet!

5. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    Summers get over 100 for 2 months here.
    The center of this coop will be open and one end is wire/pen. Do you think I need a ventilation window on this back wall in the 8 feet that will be enclosed?

[​IMG]

6. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:consider windows primarily for light and appearance. for ventilation you could pop a few louvered vents down low on the shady side to bring in cooler air that can allow hot air to escape from a higher vent. pretty much what a cupola does.

7. mediazeal

Feb 26, 2009
    More progress. Hope to have it done before the fuzzy butts need it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nest box is built but not attached yet. Roof needs the tar paper and shingles. Door and hardware cloth and the roosts!

Any suggestions?
    These will be my first chickens and coop so trying to take all your advice!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  8. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    That looks great. Your chickens are going to have tons of room. How is the progress going now? That is real nice having a concrete for the floor. How much did the concrete cost you? Well it looks like you will have a great coop when you are all done. Good job.

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Your land is beautiful, too. Nice job!

10. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    Don't show this to my chickens, they will be jealous! [​IMG]

Great work!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by