New ~3 week chicks, lack feathers on back, some scabs

Equus17

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2016
I just bought a few "Ameracauna" chicks, supposed to be 3 weeks old (also supposed to be Ameracauna but they don't quite look pure to me, cheeks are not as chubby as many others I have seen). Anywho, the feed store was closing so we were in hurry to catch them and pay and leave.... Upon getting home I noticed that some of them have scaly bare spots on their backs near the tail. They were in with some same-aged Guinea fowl, and were fairly crowded for the age chicks they were. Is this just feather picking, or something more sinister?

The chicks are normal size for their age, good feather development, active and healthy seeming. Included some normal front/top views for informational purposes (the bare spots are between the wings). I did looks carefully at their skin and could not find any sign of lice or mites.

I am pretty darn new to chickens, but I read as much as I can get my hands on. Thank you in advance.

They are so cute
smile.png

It does look like it could be feather picking. I think I see broken feathers.
Since they are young, they will be going through several mini molts, so they should shed those and grow new feathers.

Keep close watch to make sure you have no pickers in your group, I suspect it may have come from the overcrowding you mentioned. Provide them with plenty of room,a couple of tree branches/perches to play on, fresh water, chick starter, if you have them in a brooder, give them a dish pan of dirt so they can take dust baths.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you so much, Wyorp Rock! I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my chick pics and help to set my mind at ease. I will definitely be in the lookout for feather picking. I have a roost, sand, a box cubby for them to hide in (a friend's rabbit had outgrown it, the chicks seem to like it!), and I pick fresh herbs from the garden for them to peck at (oh, and two different types of waterers, and chick starter). Between that and getting to see around them (they were in a high-sided trough at the store, so not much sensory input), they seem to be in paradise. Happy cooing sounds abound!
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f49c.png

Thank you again for your wonderful advice! I was worried.

Thank you so much, Wyorp Rock! I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my chick pics and help to set my mind at ease. I will definitely be in the lookout for feather picking. I have a roost, sand, a box cubby for them to hide in (a friend's rabbit had outgrown it, the chicks seem to like it!), and I pick fresh herbs from the garden for them to peck at (oh, and two different types of waterers, and chick starter). Between that and getting to see around them (they were in a high-sided trough at the store, so not much sensory input), they seem to be in paradise. Happy cooing sounds abound!
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f425.png
1f49c.png

Thank you again for your wonderful advice! I was worried.

Sounds like you are all set
thumbsup.gif

Happy coos are a joy. I wish you well.

Back
Top Bottom