New 4-5 month old Silkie!

sagealbright

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hello everyone! I finally received my new Silkie today. He/she is between 4-5 months old and her name is Yeti. The breeder Yeti came from has not heard her crow at all and did not see her get into any arguments with any of his roosters ever. He told me he was fairly sure that it is a Pullet. I currently have a 2 month old Easter Egger that we are sure is a male in with our other pullets. When we tried to put the new Silkie in with them my easter Egger came over and tried to peck my new Silkie! So I'm having a little bit of a problem now since I know Silkies are very fragile and do not defend themselves well. I'll post a picture of my Silkie since I'm really curious if everyone agrees that she is indeed a female. She does not have a large comb like I have seen in pictures of other silkies, she's very small, and the "poof" on her head is perfectly round. Just looking for some opinions on his/her sex. Also if anyone has any advise on how to help my easter Egger and my Silkie get along better I would really appreciate it.
pe7e6avy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pullet. I think you should just ride it out on the introduction thing.
There's the pecking order and there's always going to be some pecks in the intro.
Just make sure they aren't drawing blood or anything.

To me, its crest looks more swept back like a cockerels, and there appears to be some longer streamer like feathers coming off the back of it. I've had some of my suspected pullets, older than your bird, blossom into beautiful boys. But, alas, they are very difficult to sex. Something to keep in mind, since yours appears to be at least partially bearded, that that bearding suppresses combs and wattles. Which means they'll much smaller on the girls AND the boys.

:fl that it does turn out to be a pullet for you. Good luck!

That's what I was thinking. Then when I just went out to check on them I heard a weird noise come out of the Silkie. Didn't exactly sound like a crow. Just a really raspy cluck. Now I'm having second thoughts on whether this is actually a female. She is now standing her ground and antagonizing my Easter Egger roo. So I'm thinking the Silkie will be taking over the lead spot in the pecking order soon. If it turns out to be a roo I would love to keep him. Just not sure how to go about getting him to be civil with my easter egger. We only have about 6 pullets and we will be getting two female Guineas soon.

Well, mine all make a weird honking/clucking sound when they're hot. Its kind of hard to describe, but they do it when they're panting. Maybe it was hot? They also make really strange sounds when they're changing from peeps to clucks. Sometimes they sound like a bunch of geese roaming around in their pen!

I'm thinking a roo now as the days go past. He seems to be making more and more strange noises. Thank god we are allowed to have roosters in my area. He is such a sweetheart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom