New 4 x 4 coop for 3 NH Reds

yankiwi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
New Zealand West Coast
A month and a half ago I posted plans for a small 4 x 4 coop for three New Hampshire Reds and got some good feedback. After three weeks of building and a few weeks of waiting, I now have three New Hampshire Red chickens, about two months old.
This is a link to the design topic. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=411868&p=1

As I was the laborer and my husband the main builder (we are graphic designers, not builders and neither of us had a clue what we were doing) I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked to, but here are a few. A lot of the materials were left over from our new house so lumber dimensions weren't standard. The colorsteel flashing was left over from our shed and the roofing steel were seconds from a local hardware store.

65891_01coopbase_1422.jpg

The base was made from 125mm x 125mm treated posts and set in concrete. The frame around the posts was bolted on with bolts we had on hand.

65891_02coopframe_1424.jpg

Each side of the frame was pre-made in our workshop and assembled on site.

65891_03coopwalls_1433.jpg

The walls are 12mm (about a half inch) plywood.

65891_04nailingroof_1442.jpg

This photo of my husband was taken from our bedroom. It shows the coop in relation to some other sheds and an old cottage.

65891_05nailinginside_1434.jpg

Nailing inside the coop.

65891_06nearlyfinished_1445.jpg

We thought we were nearly finished at this stage. Many "one more days" became a week.

65891_07nestboxinside_1449.jpg

Nest box from inside.

65891_08nestboxwalls_1446.jpg

Nest box from outside.

65891_09coopfinished_1452.jpg

The finished coop without the run or ladder.

65891_10birdsinredbox_1423.jpg

The three girls in the box we brought them home in.

Changes to original coop.

The window was from a second hand shop. It runs parallel to a road so we put a black plastic blind over it to keep car lights from bothering them while they sleep. After decidign to try the deep litter method we changed our mind about the distance from the floor for the next box so we had to cut a bigger hole after the coop was put together. It might have been easier to paint before putting up the hardware cloth in the ventilation holes. We will probably need to put covers on them eventually to keep rain out. So far we are pretty happy with the coop and the chickens. We can see them through binoculars from our bedroom window.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
what a cute little chicken house!! i love it. great job to you and the DH! the only problem... with such a big yard, and considering how addicting chickens can be, you are gonna have to build an addition!! start piling up that good recycled building materials!
frow.gif
aloha

Really good job! Those girls - who look so cute checking out their new digs from their basket - will be very happy there.

And, yes, plenty of space for another, larger coop and more chickens!

Back
Top Bottom