new 6 month pullet with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdoane, Oct 7, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    We just got a new 6 month pullet a few days ago. She is currently in quarantine. This morning I noticed that under the perch instead of lots of formed poop the sand was mainly just wet with some loosely formed poop. Her poop was fine the first day we had her. Can the stress of her move and being quarantined cause this? Otherwise she seems fine. Eating, drinking, clucking, walking around. Hasn't laid an egg for us yet but I don't know her schedule. Lol. And again not sure whether the move and quarantine would have disrupted that routine also.

My current thought are worms, stress, change in food. She was sort of free ranging before. Oh forgot to note -no sign of blood.

any thoughts?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chicken droppings can change, especially since every 9th or 10th time they will pass a cecal dropping which is runny, sometimes foamy, and yellow-brown. A change of location can cause stress, but also can expose a chicken to new strains of coccidia (there are 9 strains) that she might not be immune to already. A preventative treatment of Corid (amprollium) at half strength might help while she develops immunity. Full strength Corid dosing is 2 teaspoonsful liquid to 1 gallon water for 5-7 days. A new chicken on the property probably should also be wormed with a wormer such as Valbazen and repeated in 10 days.

3. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks! She hasn't been out of the garage yet so I wouldn't think it would be cocci but I will do a half dose. Was definitely planning on worming. Just need to order the Valbazen as I can't get it locally.

4. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Oh! Update!!! Just got our first egg from her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by