New 6 week old chickens, wild, how to tame them???

KauAnnie

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Maui
I just picked up 2, 6 week old chickens, the lady told me they were both girls but my mother thinks otherwise haha

So they dont like us very much. Like, they will run to the opposite side of the pen when we came and will try and flap away. I dont know what I should do to tame them. They are so small though but I just want some advice to tame them so they wont run away. Thanks
smile.png

98268_mms_picture_9.jpg

98268_mms_picture_8.jpg

98268_mms_picture_10.jpg

I got my girls some freeze dried worms, Happy Hen treats. If you sprinkle some in their pen and then start to hand feed them, they should learn to like you.

You may never totally tame them down but they will tolerate you more. Lots and lots of handling. Even if they act like you are just killing them, pick them up, feed them while you hold them, pet them and put them down. In a few weeks they will come around.
smile.png

By the way, your white Silkie looks like a girl to me.
smile.png

Thanks, ohh I hope they learn to like me! haha. My brother has this dream that his white one will jump on his lap everyday haha

Slow down and move deliberately in their presence. Sit by pen and read a book. Avoid towering over them. Do not look directly at them (sign of aggression or intended predation). Offer treats such as live mealworms in small amounts. Keep your voice calm. Make certain pen is near cover. Handling can be good so long as it is not stressfull.

Spend time with them.

Back
Top Bottom