New Account

sydneyesch

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
Hi, I'm new to BYC and just got my 4th batch of baby chicks. This is my first set straight run and was wondering if anyone has any tips for sexing chicks. Thanks!
[/IMG]

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. There are only three ways to sex very young chicks. 1st, chicks can be vent sexed but it takes a trained chick sexer to be proficient at this; 2nd, some breeds can be wing sexed; 3rd, some chicks (such as auto-sexing breeds and sex-link hybrids) can be sexed by color at hatching. Unfortunately, based on your photo, none of your breeds appear to fall into the last two catagories and they are too old to vent sex even if you knew how. As they mature more, they can be sexed by their combs and wattles which will grow larger and redder in the cockerels than those in the hens. If you would like your chicks sexed, I would suggest posting their individual pics on our What Breed or Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this in about a month, and let our experts there take a look at them for you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

umm how do you post a topic im new to BYC even know im a 11 day loget LOL
Go to the forum in which you wish to post (put your courser on the forum icon at the top of the page and it will bring up the various forums), click on the specific forum that you wish to post in. When it brings the forum page up, in the upper left hand corner you will see a "Start a new thread" blue box. Just click on it and start your thread.

Back
Top Bottom