new addition to my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by katiescoop, Aug 1, 2013.

1. katiescoop

katiescoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2013
    I recently added a run for supervised play time in the yard. the girls love it and so do I! I spend soooo much time out here now. The fence was all recycled from another part of the yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pedorth

pedorth New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Wow! What a beautiful fence! We are thinking about doing the same thing but we were worried that the chickens would fly over such a low fence. May I ask how tall is your fence? Have any chickens gone over? May I ask how you built the fence? Did you dig holes, pour concrete and plant the supporting posts into the concrete? Thanks for any tips!

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Looks beautiful. Nice job.

We are also thinking of doing something similar to this to fence in our chicken coop and run, our greenhouse (yet to be built), our patio and our raised flower and veggie gardens. This way we can let the chickens out for supervised free ranging when we are outside.

4. katiescoop

Jun 15, 2013
    The fence is only about 3.5ft tall. It was actually a recycled fence from my grandpas yard. Most of my coop is recycled so it fits right in. We did not pour concrete, just dug holes and filled tem in around the posts to keep them sturdy. I really recommend making sure the gate I big enough to fit a lawn mower through it if you have grass in the area. Before putting up the permanent fence, I had a temporary fence that was a pin to get through to mow. As far as the chickens escaping, I have had one hen fly up on top of the fence but I just went on the other side and chased her back in the fence. My girls so far have stayed in the fence as long as I am around, but they all made an escape one day when I went into the house for a few minutes- apparently they were waiting for me to turn my back. otherwise they don't stray far from the coop. you could always consider clipping wings if it is an issue with your chickens. The chicken yard has been great though, overall. I can have the girls out in the yard while I clean the coop. The chickens love to get out to eat grass/bugs and take dirt baths in the sun. they all run to the door as soon as they see me coming out there. Also, it's a nice place to just relax outside with family or friends.

5. pedorth

pedorth New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Thank you for the detailed reply! We have started building our fence...4 feet high. When our fence is finished, I hope to post it here! We've been letting our chickens free-range towards the late afternoon and they go back into their coop just as it becomes dark. We're wanting to create a chicken yard so they can range in part of our garden for more of the day. We just hope we can train them to stay within the chicken yard even if we're not around. We'll see! Thanks again.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi :)
    I have 3 pet bantams who I let free range whenever I am home. Our suburban garden is only partially fenced but they don't go too far and seem happy enough to stay in the garden, near their coop and covered run. They seem to spend the majority of their time in the area of the garden where I have a lot of pot plants, ferns etc as they can duck under them for cover if spooked by something. My fear is not that they will leave home but more that some unwanted predator will visit so they are not allowed to free range unless supervised. I am definitely no expert and hope you do not think I am meddling, but I was a little worried when you mentioned "We just hope we can train them to stay within the chicken yard even if we're not around." If your yard is not covered I would be worried about ground and air dwelling predators picking them off if you are not there to protect them?
    On a personal note: I spend many happy hours watching my girls in the garden; shame I have to work!! (lol) [​IMG]

7. katiescoop

Jun 15, 2013
    You're welcome! I would love to see pictures of your chicken yard when it's finished!
    I think clipping wings would really help keep the chickens in the fenced area if that is your ultimate goal. Teila makes a very good point about predators as well!
    the neighbor kids came over and let my chickens out in their yard the other day and didn't put them away before leaving. I don't know how long they were out there before I discovered this but I was very relieved to find all the girls safe and happy inside the fence. mI may end up clipping wings myself soon just incase another incident like this happens. I cant have my chickens wandering into the neighbors yards!

8. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Looks great :) Nicely done.

9. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I need to come up with something to get my flock of 4 out of their enclosure. Thinking about a cattle panel run that I can put them in and move them around. I would love a little yard like this fenced one but I have young hawks that were raised in my yard. They return here all the time. I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of them. Those hawks ate very interested in the chickens. I originally planned on supervised free ranging but it can't happen. I wonder if a design like this could be covered in some way.

10. katiescoop

Jun 15, 2013
    I wonder if you could make some sort of netting cover? almost like a tent. that may even keep the amount of flies or mosquitos down a little. I don't think you would need anything super tough to keep the hawks out, just enough to get in their way. I really don't know how I would go about that. Wish I had some better advice. if you do figure something out let me know! I would love to see what you come up with! Best of luck to you and your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by