New addition to my Flock per a Gift - **PICS**

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MIKE555444, Nov 2, 2009.

1. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Please don't get me wrong I was very thankful when this nice lady gave us this gift however I was not happy about the condition these chickens lived in. The run was about 1-2" of mud and poo and the drinking water and food was not clean by any means. Again I am very thankful for the gift of these hens but they are in quarantine until I am satisfied they are ready to move into the rest of the flock.

First thing I did was I put them on medicated started feed for the extra protein and medicine. Also I added treatment to the water for worms.

One other issue is they do not know the bread. Obviously they are bantams but what breed? These are also suppose to be hens. I am thinking the red looking one may be a mutt or a game bird of some type and could even be a roo??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Poor chickens. They look a bit droopy.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

No clue on the breeds, but that last pic looks like a roo to me.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    The hens in the first pic are Buff Brahmas.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

..and the third one looks like a red sex-link pullet

[​IMG]

Thank you for taking them and for knowing how to quarantine, thus keeping your original flock safe while helping the new ones! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  6. MIKE555444

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    The red one is "suppose" to be 1 yr old NOT a pullet. She is a tiny bantam so I don't think she could be rex sex link.

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

1st 2 pics are buff brahmas
    2nd looks like a bantam buff orp and by the looks of the tail feathers and neck feathers a roo. see the sharpness of the neck feathers versus the buff brahma's neck feathers. Does his tail feathers (saddle feathers) have the same sharpness and downward lay to them.
    3rd looks like some sort of game bird maybe a BB Red?

8. MIKE555444

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I don't see anything on the solid buff/light red that makes me think roo?

This is a bad pic but show the saddle feathers a little

AND these are suppose to be full growm NOT pullets but maybe I was told wrong

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    How old are they? I think medicated starter isn't the best choice of feed...JMO. I'd probably start off on Flock Raiser. I'm sure after some good care from you, they'll perk up a bit! The one in the background of the first 2 pics has me a bit worried...she looks like she's swollen around her eyes....is she?

10. MIKE555444

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    They are suppose to be all full grown 1 yr old...

I know what they should eat at this age... but I only decided to give them the medicated starter feed for the extra protein and medicine included because of there living conditions at the previous coop. I will start to work in some layer feed and of course toss any eggs that comes from these for a while.

As far as the eye I will certainly take a closer look this evening but I did not notice anything odd yesterday.

Thanks so much for your comments

Mike

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by