New Addition to the Family...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Umbral_Necropolitan, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    ...but what is it? I went to pick up some supplies for an expectant hen with a little over a week till she has babies and saw this adorable critter. It will be the first chick I've raised rather than have the hen raise, its name is either Mist or Misty, depending on whether it is a pullet or cockerel.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Any ideas of what type of chicken he is?

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I have no idea, but it's a cute little feller!

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It needs a friend! [​IMG]

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Is it a self-blue something? Like Old English Game Bantam? Or does it have feathers on its legs, like a cochin?

5. Umbral_Necropolitan

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Quote:It doesn't have feathers on its legs, it was in an assorted bantam bin so I'm at a loss to identify it. I would have got more than one if they had another like it, it was the only one in the bin that was gray/silvery color and also much smaller than the others. I am a sucker for runts, being one myself when I was young. By the time the other chicks hatch, which will be soon, they should be about the same size since they are not bantams... although I won't put them together till they are the similar in size/maturity.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:It doesn't have feathers on its legs, it was in an assorted bantam bin so I'm at a loss to identify it. I would have got more than one if they had another like it, it was the only one in the bin that was gray/silvery color and also much smaller than the others. I am a sucker for runts, being one myself when I was young. By the time the other chicks hatch, which will be soon, they should be about the same size since they are not bantams... although I won't put them together till they are the similar in size/maturity.

Then I'm guessing OEGB, self-blue in color. Never had one, though, so I'm no expert...

7. Umbral_Necropolitan

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Little guy likes to trill when he is cleaning his teddy bear.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I think I see a little EE there [​IMG]

9. Umbral_Necropolitan

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Just curious but other than the coloration what are the markers for different breeds at this age?

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It looks just like a Porcelain Dutch my Daddy raised. Very pretty!

Picture of him as a youngster:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by