New additions - pygmy goats (pics)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by warcard, Aug 27, 2008.

1. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Say 'Hi' to Bert & Ernie. Bert is the carmel and Ernie is the agouti. Still aren't totally sure if we are keeping them, they are both still bucks. Bert is about 8mths old and Ernie is about 5mths. The guy said Ernie could still be banded, but that Bert was a breeder since his uuhh...dingleberries...had reached full size. Is this correct? Or do I just need to have the vet do it now? I will probably have the vet do Ernie anyway (if I can find one), since I figure by the time I buy the equipment it will cost about the same. And I just have to live with the horns now right? I don't think I'm too worried about them since they are little guys.
    [​IMG]
    that's their temporary home in the background

[​IMG]
    these guys are worse than the dogs for getting pics

[​IMG]

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Hi to Bert and Ernie!
    Hey I don't know if you are new to the world of goats or not...
    The best goat advice we ever got was about petting them. We learned you should always pet them on the neck/sides.
    Avoid petting them on the head. A lot of goats become "butty" if handled by the horns or petted on the head. It's tempting to put your hand on their horns and let them push against it. It's cute. Not so cute when they want to try it against your knee cap when you have a 50 lb bag of feed on your shoulder!
    It really does make a difference, at least with all the goats we have had!

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    They are so cute!!!!!!! Congrats and good luck! I want pygmy goats so bad...lucky you!!

4. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Hi! By now you are kind of stuck with the horns. There is a way to remove them now but it's bloody and not very safe for the animal. Since they both have horns neither is at a disadvantage so they shouldn't cause too many problems.
    As for neutering (wethering) them, both boys look small enough that they could still be done. They look pretty small for their ages which for wethering them would be a good thing. They are fertile before they are done growing, but believe me they will get LOTS bigger back there by the time they are 3 yrs old, which is how long pygmies generally grow. My husband has banded boys way bigger and with no problems whatsoever. But he's also been doing it quite a long time and knows the best way to not pinch off the urethra while placing the band etc. I'd look around for a vet that is good with goats. And be sure they have a fresh CD&T if you do get it done. Best of luck with those two!

5. Small Town Girl

Small Town Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Bexley, OH
    Congrats on the new additions! They are unbelievably cute. My BF wants pygmy goats in the worst way. Maybe for his birthday next year...

6. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    chic-n-farmer - We are definetely first time goat owners! DH kept talking about them, and I kept putting him off. These two where just too good a trade to pass up, even if I resell them I should come out ahead. We will take any and all advice. [​IMG]

sunriseranch - Thanks, I read about late removal of horns, it just sounded very complicated and difficult on the animal. I think we can survive two pygmies with horns, its the neutering I really want done (very glad to hear Bernie is still a candidate). I'm going to stop at the two closest vets today to see if they do goats, if not I believe I know where the guy originally bought these two so I will try that farm for some help.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Way. Too. Cute. [​IMG]

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They are adorable! [​IMG]

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Those ar ethe same breeds that I have but I have a male and female named "Bonnie & Clyde"

Really cute. Now you gotta get you some girls for them. There at that age where they need one or two or................................. you get the picture [​IMG]

10. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I agree they both look small enough to be banded. Horns, yup...you're stuck. We love our horned goats though...and don't have any problem with them. It's a personal preference. There are a couple methods to get grown horns off - surgical, which is very nasty and banding...google dehorning with bands and you should get some hits on it.

They are, BTW...ADORABLE. Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by