New Additions this Year?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LavenderandSage, Mar 5, 2015.

1. LavenderandSage

LavenderandSage Just Hatched

Mar 1, 2014
    Greetings! So with spring not too far away, who is enlarging their family (of feather friends) this year?
    I am really wanting to add another runner to the family, but our trio is so happy now I am hesitant.[​IMG]
    This is the Late Lilly and our rescue duck 'Mouse".

2. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    I just ordered 12 Welsh Harlequin from Metzers. They will be here the week of 3/16. Counting down the days until I get my fuzzy little ducklings. That will bring me up to 22 ducks! EEEK!

1 person likes this.
  3. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    I have an assortment of four girls coming from Metzer's the week of 3/16 as well. One of each: Welsh Harlequin, Khaki Campbell, Blue Swedish, and Cayuga.

I can't wait!!

4. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    I have five 3wk old ducklings now, two Cayugas, two Welsh harlequins and a runner, that I'm adding to our adult peking and adult mallard. I had three more ducklings, a buff, a runner and a Swedish, from Metzer that were supposed to be here yesterday morning, but they got lost in transit and haven't arrived yet. Metzer said that a lot of people never got their ducklings yesterday, and that they shipped them and a bunch of other ducklings Monday morning, but they haven't been marked as received anywhere by the USPS. So basically I should be expecting a box of dead baby ducks here sometime. I still plan on getting three more, but I feel so bad for all those missig babies. There's no way they'll have survived so long in transit =[

But yes, by the end of spring, I'll have (hopefully) increased my flock from two to ten. What will I do with all those eggs when they start laying?? Lol

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Those poor babies, lost in the mail. That's just so sad. [​IMG]

6. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio

I know, I keep imagining a truckload of dead ducklings, and it makes me sad =[

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. andrea1215

andrea1215 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    We have two Pekins, two Rouens, two Cayugas, two Blue Swedish and two Welsh Harlequin coming early next month from Metzer.

8. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    I'm so stressed about mine coming. I am SO worried they're not going to be ok. [​IMG]

9. LavenderandSage

LavenderandSage Just Hatched

Mar 1, 2014
    Oh those babies! Two to ten is a big increase. How fun! What got you started in raising ducks?

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am pretty sure I'll be adding two or three Runner girls to the flock this year. I am holding out for now for adopting rescues. I just would like them to be 3 years old or younger, as my entire flock of Runners and Buffs are all five years old. I would like to stagger the ages. We don't have room for another 13 (!) so I just want to add 2 or 3 every 4 or 5 years. We are going to be running a geriatric assisted living facility for Ducks in about five years, looks like! That's the goal - healthy senior ducks. Another learning curve!

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by