new additions to flock - not fitting in

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nyumbakuku, Jul 4, 2016.

1. nyumbakuku

nyumbakuku Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    I have a flock of 4 that are now just over 1 year old. they get along fine. I added two "teenagers" (about 4 months old - not yet laying) into the flock. the two new ones sit in the coop all day and won't come out. the others either ignore them or worse pick on them when they have to go into the coop to lay or eat/drink. any thoughts on how to get the new ones out of the coop and how to improve behavior of the others? also about how long will it take. I am into day 5 now. thanks, Kathryn

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I always have the new/ younger birds in a pen next to the resident flock, so everyone meets and 'sniffs noses' with each other for a week or so first. Then, everyone can interact while the flock free ranges, and the new birds go back to their safe spot at night. After a few days, or longer, they start to integrate a bit better. It might be months before they actually become one flock. It's all normal, and unless there are injuries, just let it all happen. Your pullets are freaked out and need time. Mary

3. nyumbakuku

nyumbakuku Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    thank you. i probably goofed by placing them together right away. because they were about the same size physically i thought they would integrate better than they have. I will be patient. there is pecking but so far no injuries, mostly squawking and blustering about. K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by