New additions to my "Hen Doctor" box

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aggiemae, Dec 5, 2013.

1. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    This is what I have on hand: the items in bold are the ones that can be useful even if you are not up to minor surgery!

liquid infant vitamins with iron- for anemia post bleeding, mites lice or other blood sucking parasite infestation use just once after treatment- to much Iron is bad for chickens

powdered electrolytes (like "sav-a-chick" but cheaper)- for diarrhea and in extremely hot weather

antibiotics (to add to water and injectable) currently Duramycin water additive. It often expires before it's even opened but can be life saving if you need it)

Thiabendazole- for gapeworm (I don't worm my hens for other gut paristies unless I can see them in the poop)

vitamin e oil- for oiling combs and feet minor vent irritations and minor injuries

bluekote (antiseptic and dye in one ) use to paint on injuries to clean and so chicks don't peck wounds)

Preparation H (for prolapses or swollen/inflamed vents)

vaginal yeast cream (for gleet)

Polysporin-for wounds and stitches

pediatric Benadryl liquid- for swelling due to stings/bites- 1 ml (use insulin syringe) for bee wasp, hornet stings

Aspirin- for pain due to sprains, strains and breaks- free feed 1 tablet dissolved in a quart of water to seperated injured ADULT bird NOT to be used for chicks or BLEEDING injuries!!!!

gauze- the small rolls used to bandage fingers and prewrapped 4x4's

coban (self sticking bandage) and flat toothpicks (for splints, it comes in colors buy the yellow or black)

gloves, eye covers and mask- for lancing infections or minor surgery

Q tips, cotton balls, alcohol

pen light (a head lamp is even better)

sharp scissors

disposable scalpes

small sharp blunt ended shears (for clipping feathers)

large high grit emery board- for cracked or for snagging nails

suture kits (prepacked finest needle size already threaded (I got this from our family doctor)

syringes:and catheter tips- 60cc- and 10cc (for water or food) and insulin (for oral meds) these can be cleaned and reused.

one time use insulin syringes and small needles for injectiable meds

NEW ADDITIONS: fortunately for the I had these things in my dog stuff of the hen would have bleed to death and/or I would be wearing an eye patch.

Styptic powder- to stop bleeding. I hear that flour will also work in a pinch

Leather gloves (in addition to eye protection already listed)

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Good idea to make a check list. I never seem to be organized enough to make good written lists of what should be in medicine kits, or just supplies to have on hand in general. Also maybe feeding tubes, coccidia meds, epson salts or something for soaking...

3. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    The "short list" of things we actually use is really not so short. The list of what to have on hand just in case grows longer with experience.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Have to disagree. With my 50 plus years of experience my chicken "medicine Cabinet" has been reduced to a Coccidiostst, Louse Powder & a hatchet. These 3 items take care of all my poultry health needs.

2 people like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Corn starch works very well as a blood stop if you don't have styptic powder...I actually think it works better.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Good point there, have neighbors who would consider the Coccidiostat excessive. Does lead to another thing to consider with sick animals/pets you are willing to treat, what are you going to do or use for euthanasia or culling the animal should it come to that. Should have that decided before hand... CD, Hatchet/machete, broomstick, Ether etc etc ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by