New additions to the coop!

ScrambledGreg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
North Charleston, SC
Yesterday, I added three buff orpingtons to the coop. I had wanted to get some chicks, because frankly I enjoy raising them, but I had a hard time finding some at the feed stores around here. I decided to go a different route, and found some young ones on Craigslist - two hens and a rooster, about 3 months old.

Here's a pic of my existing hens - two RIR's and a Black Sexlink. They are two years old.
bighens.jpg

The three Orpingtons...
orps1.jpg

Orpington Rooster doing some strutting and wing-flapping...
orps3.jpg

When it came time to add the new chickens to the coop, I just went ahead and put them all in the big coop to see what would happen. The old hens kept to themselves, and the new Orps looked around. Sure enough, after about 30 minutes, it was on like Donkey Kong...the dominate RIR of the old flock decided to mix it up with the young roo. He stood his ground, and she retreated. They did this for another hour or so, and the Orps got more comfortable with the coop and were walking around and scratching. The roo was beating his wings, puffing out his neck feathers, and trying so hard to crow - but he's a little too young to make the noise...it was fun to watch the integration - my sons were sitting in a nearby window, giving a play-by-play commentary to the scuffles that would break out.

By the time the sun was going down, they started to get along better...will be watching them today to see how the power struggle plays out.

Well, the tide has turned...

When I got home this afternoon, the chickens are still broke apart into their cliques - the old, and the young. The rooster must have been upstaged by the old hens today, because his attitude is very different today - almost like he's watching his back constantly. Not as confidant as yesterday...

Watched the three newbies watering...then swoops in the black sexlink - and she runs all three off...she gets water, then moves away. The three cautiously return. The pecking order has obviously been established.

Back
Top Bottom