New additions to the family (Picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by L&Schickens, Aug 31, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    When we first moved here a year ago a big cat wandered in and never left. We took him to the vet and got him fixed, etc. and our son named him "Charlie Cat".
    A few months after that our 10 month old mini aussie puppy was hit by a car and killed. He was given to us by my aunt who we liveed with for the year before while our house in NH was on the market. While we were there our 14 y/o Toy Fox Terrier died of cancer, and that is why she gave us the mini aussie pup.
    So now we are in a house of our own, dogless, but not without our big 19.5 cat Charlie. Well, about a month ago I caught a feral cat in a trap trying to catch a chicken killing raccoon. The cat was thin, dirty and beat up, but semi friendly. I let him go.
    A few days ago that same cat came back and Loren and I watched him watch us. He did not run away. Loren named him Shadow. Then a few days later I caught him in the trap again and took him to the vet to be neutered, wormed and shots. O yeah, and the week beofre Charlie had to be taken in for a bladder infection. Cost $145!!!! [​IMG]
    So now Loren is going to be starting school and we go to a "Meet and Greet" thing at his school. On the way home we ask Loren what he wants for dinner and he says "Dairy Queen". My DH says, "No, how about Quizno's?" Loren said no, so David took us to Quizno's anyway.
    We just got out of the car when a puppy follows a man to his truck. The man shoos the puppy away and gets in his truck, rolling down the window. "This pup has been wandering around for a few days. Sure could use a good home." he yells to us. The puppy comes over to us next and Loren starts petting it. We are on a Major road off of a major exit of a major hiway. So, I picked up the puppy and put her in the car. We all pile back in the car and my DH says "We should have went to Dairy Queen."
    So we get the puppy home who is COVERED with fleas and David and Loren start spraying her with flea killer and taking care of that while I make her something to eat. My DH named her "Sandy".
    I did go back to the place where we found her and a few people recognized her as had been wandering around, but no with an owner.
    The next day I picked up Shadow from the vet and we keped him in the barn for a few days. I let him out two days ago and have seen him around, but have not been able to pet him. He is NOT happy about a puppy being here.
    Sandy did not know how to play, go through a door way or do up and down stairs. But she is great on a leash and fine with being tied up. She is now, five days later, learning to play and be a normal dog. She is a great puppy and is not into chewing things up, yet. She is also a very mellow dog. We love her.
    Then on Friday, the old mare we just got back from CA two weeks ago coliced and we had to have the vet out for her too. She is 25 so we expected the worst, but she is doing just fine now.

OK, picture time!

Charlie in front and Shadow sitting
    [​IMG]

Shadow
    [​IMG]

Loren petting Shadow
    [​IMG]

Getting fleas off Sandy
    [​IMG]

Sandy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a flea bath
    [​IMG]

Learning about chickens (We will make a LGD out of her yet!)
    [​IMG]

Learning to play
    [​IMG]

Off to school!
    [​IMG]

"By by mom!"
    [​IMG]

And one of Bein, the old mare.
    [​IMG]

2. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Great story and great photos!

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Nice pics!

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Lovely animals! The puppy is terribly cute, I wouldn't have been able to resist either.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yup yup that little cutie pie would have came home with me too. What a wonderful furry family your have. BTW I think bein just has the most beautiful face...please tell her I said so. *wink*

6. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Great story ...great pics, too!

Sandy is adorable! Your son's "bye bye, Mom!" pic made me misty and giggle'y all the same ...my kids are in college now, but I remember those "first days of school" moments ...and then teaching 1st grade ..I had quite a few of those moments where the parent was crying and the kid was happy as a lark! LOL

Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

7. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    What a sweet story. I'm sure Shadow will come around after some time. Neutering and a new puppy probably really ticked him off!!! Sandy is a cutie!!!

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    bwa ha!

"Should have gone to Dairy Queen...."!!!

neener neener.

But look at all the happy faces dad!

me,
    g

9. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    So sweet, and so sorry about your dog losses....this past year has been hard on me too, I lost 5 for various reasons, not fun....
    But I applaud you on your decision to adopt Sandy and Shadow, all but one of my dogs are rescue, so I think it's super awesome!
    Good luck, and take care!

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm so sorry about the pets you lost. That was a hard time I'm sure.

I'm so happy that you have a new puppy that has a wonderful new home! Thanks for making him part of your family. He's sure a cutie.

Shadow is one lucky kitty too, even though he may not realize it quite yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by