New additions to the flock! but there all sneezing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by roxyblue, Nov 12, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hello Everyone!
    Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, feel free to move it.
    I got two more hens to add to my existing flock of two today. I am so exited!
    The chickens over all health is pretty good, exept that they seem to sneeze more then normal. Is this something I should be concerned about?
    They did have a very breif meeting with my two other girls, through chicken wire. I'm trying to figure out how quarentine is going to work...i only have one coop.....have any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    -Roxyblue

2. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Aw bless you, ive just been reading your other post on the emergency & deseases! Your having no luck..[​IMG] is it your new chickens that are sneezing or your present ones? Hopefully either didnt have enough contact to catch anything.. Good luck hun xxx

3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I would never add new chickens without quarantine especially since they are sneezing. A dog crate away from your current chickens will work with a small pen. I have thrown together pens away from others just using some fencing & t-bars. In crates at nite. Be careful with your clothing shoes as well. Always start with your 1st chickens then to the new ones. I do overkill no doubt with bleach spray.
    I have a closed flock at this point I have raised all the one's I have from chicks. Nothing new in. They have been very healthy to date for which I am grateful. My losses have been due to predators while they were free ranging, which we had to change how they do that now only with direct supervision.

4. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    thank you guys,
    I don't have a dog crate and I don't have a lot of space thats not taken up by something or another....the closest thing I could come up with is a cat carrier....[​IMG]. Right now my original girls are sleeping in our mud room because of the one having a VERY hard molt this year + lack of protein. yeash. I'm thinking and thinking....trying to make this work. But i'll figure out a way !
    thanks again ladyride and Tracy the chick
    -Roxyblue

P.S. they both sneeze on occasion but the new ones do it more often......their old home wasn't the best. They were all crammed up in a barn without accsess to the great outdoors. However I did inquire about any illnesses and they said they didn't know of any.

5. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    I did the same thing.. Theres a lot of genuin people out there but theres a lot of dishonest people out there too. My flock are currently on Tynal 200 after putting a new chicken in with my others! ( i was new to chickens ) ive learnt the hard way!! Mine seem to be ok now! Famous last words [​IMG] i do hope yours will be ok. X

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Honestly? I'd take them back.

7. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks all,
    They seemed like honest people, though I didn't agree with the living conditions they set their animals up with.... I 'll see what happens as time progresses. Taking them back isn't an option they live forever away and i have to many plans through out the week, so i wouldn't be able to take them back to the farm till NEXT weekend anyway...
    I'm torn [​IMG] I made sure to check the flock and all the birds looked healthy very talkitive hens, clear eyes, no discharge from the nose. dropping are normal evept they seem a little bit oranger then my current girls, anyways I'll keep an eye on them and update you guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by