New additions to the flock = one very aggressive hen!!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by han-kirk126, Feb 1, 2014.

1. han-kirk126

han-kirk126 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    Hi, i could do with some help, we recently added 3 hens to our 2 original hens & one of the original hens accepts the new three, however one of them doesn't and is aggressive toward the new three. I've let them out in the yard together and have had to put the aggressive hen in solitary confinement to try and chill her out a bit. I haven't put them in the same coop yet as I've had two coops side by side for a week so they can see each other. Is there anything i can do to atop one hen being so aggressive? I understand that one of them has to rule the roost but shes quite nasty! Any help would be appreciated thanks

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Remove the nasty one out of sight completely for a week. This will remove her from the pecking order. Then you can try putting her back in and see how it goes. Sometimes a meanie just needs to be rehomed.

3. downrangechick

downrangechick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    NE Michigan
    I have had the same happen here. I brought 2 EE home and after I quarantined for 30 days I put them next to the big coop for a couple weeks so the original flock could see them. When I put them in together my RIR hen started pecking on them. One hid in the coop from the bully and the other tried to stand her ground. Well the next morning I went out and one of the poor EE's eye was swelled shut and her comb was bleeding. I removed the RIR and put her in a different coop with my silkies and 2 LEGHORNS. My silkie roos are pretty mean themselves so I thought they would put her in her place. Everything was fine for a couple weeks. I went out one morning to feed and it was a blood bath out there. The only ones still standing was a silkie hen, a leghorn, and the RIR/murderer. I should have listened to my gut and culled her when I first noticed issues. If she is really aggressive chances are it won't get better.

4. han-kirk126

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    Thanks guys, I've put her in solitary for a couple of hours and then let her back out, she calmed down and just kind of eyeballed the other chickens and just got on with scratching the grass, so fingers crossed its working. I SO want them to get on! Ill just keep plugging away at it. Thanks for all your help

5. han-kirk126

Sep 23, 2013
    Leicester uk
    Hi, just an update and to check if what my chickens are doing is normal!? They have all been put into a brand new coop with lots of room, perches, food, water etc. They all have a few scabs on their combs which im assuming is a result of establishing the pecking order. They have been together since Wednesday, how long does it usually take to establish who is top? Also one of the new chickens (prudence) seems to have become very attached to one of our original hens (elsey) and seems to groom her? Is this something that happens? As a result of them becoming 'bff's' the other new chicken keeps pecking elsey (original chicken). Gladice (one of our original) seems top as she seems to get to eat first, drink first - is all this normal? Thanks for your help guys

6. Fifi-le-chick

Fifi-le-chick New Egg

Apr 25, 2014
    Sweden
    Sorry to jump in with my own problem, but it's similar to the problems in this thread. I am a newbi to chicken keeping. I have 3 Brahma hens and a Brahma Roo. They all get on very well until I tried to add three new pullets, same breed and about 12 /14 weeks old.

I put them in a separate house and run within the main run and let them stay there for three days. Using the play pen technique I opened the small run just a bit and the newbies came out. One if my original hens went mad. Chasing the around the run and pinning one down pecking her head. She managed to escape back into the play pen. The other two got back in unhurt but the rooster and the aggressive hen also got in. It looked liked the rooster was trying to protect the young ones. After a couple of minutes of pecking the aggressive hen and the rooster left and I closed up the playpen. That was a week ago send I am afraid the same thing will happen again when I try again. Can anyone help?

I can't put them in the hen house at night as if she attacked dogs in they would have no where to go. I don't want to put her down as back with the original four she is totally docile.

7. Fifi-le-chick

Fifi-le-chick New Egg

Apr 25, 2014
    Sweden
    Quick update. The sick one died today. So sad and feel responsible for her death.

Still don't know how to intrigerats the other two. But will try other chicken forums to see if I CSN get any help elsewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by