New Additions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken_crazy93, Nov 14, 2010.

1. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Hello folks, I have a few more chickens & wanted to get your opinions on what breed & gender they might be.

This is one of the first one's I got But I think it's lookin more like a rooster. Whatcha think?
    [​IMG]

What about this one?
    [​IMG]

My buddy gave me two hens he said were Sex-Links. Here's one of them.
    [​IMG]

And here is the other one.
    [​IMG]

Here is my new rooster & was told he's a Silver Laced Barred Rock.
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of my red rooster's legs.
    [​IMG]

Here's another one of the first Sex-Link hen.
    [​IMG]
    Thank ya'll.

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    The first Barred Rocks look like pullets to me, and the roo is a roo, but there is no such thing as a silver-laced barred rock. Yours is a Barred Rock roo, and a pretty one! I don't have sex-links, but they look like pullets, too, and I don't know what the red rooster is. Nice flock!

3. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    your "silver laced barred rock" is a cuckoo maran.
    note: the white legs

4. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Oooo...Good catch! I saw the legs on the first one and just lumped them all in together. So, what she said - [​IMG]

5. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Cool, thank ya'll. I have never heard of a Silver Laced Barred Rock but the feller seemed to know his chickens as he raised Welsummers, Cochin's etc... I gave $10.00 for him cause I like his color & temperment. It's good to here ya'll think the barred one's are pullets. I don't need another roo. My red rooster is the best one I've ever had I think. I like the color of the Sex-Link hens too. I have 13 all together now & I'm thinkin about gettin a trio of young banty's but I'm gonna add on to my chicken house first. They only use it to lay & roost in as I have about a 1/2 acre chain linked in for them to free range. I keep traps set on the outside of the fence for coons & such so my chickens can come & go as they please inside the fence. My hen house is 6ft wide X 8ft deep X 7ft tall with both of the side walls having a 2ft wide chicken wired opening the length of the side walls for ventilation. I'm gonna add another 8ft on to it in a week or so & I think that will be plenty of room for right now.

6. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Sounds like a nice set up!

7. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    4 roos

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The two "sex-links" from your buddy, are not, and they are cockerels.

9. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Quote:Ok, if not Sex-Link then what are they please? Also, are you sure they are not hens as they both sure look like pullets to me. Thank you for your opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by