New Adult Hens Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheLadyChickens, Aug 7, 2011.

1. TheLadyChickens

TheLadyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Williamston, MI
    Hey guys!

What a great forum! I'm sure someone has posted about this already, but I couldn't find a similar post to read up on.

We just bought 9 hens that are 1-1.5 years old, and 2 feathered chicks (being kept separate). We bought a chicken coop and renovated it completely (spent about $500 in supplies lol, hope they LOVE it!) and finally got our ladies three days ago. We're extremely happy and love our ladies, very mellow, but none of them are laying eggs yet. How many days or possibly weeks (hope not), does it take for them to relax, adjust and feel comfortable enough to lay some nice eggs? [​IMG] They are being fed great layena pellets, fresh veggies from our garden and a few oats as a treat. Perhaps they need to be played some Barry White with candle light lol? Thanks!

2. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Give them a few days. My first few hens took about 3 days for the first egg and about a week for more than one egg a day. Be sure to put a decoy in their nest boxes to help them decide on where to lay.

3. TheLadyChickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Williamston, MI
    Thank you so much!

I am about to rummage through the garage looking for golf balls or perhaps I'll run up to Tractor Supply and find a decoy! [​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you check the post right above yours, theres a whole thread about this very topic.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I'd be patient up to a few weeks...Are you sure they are are that age? I've heard of alot of folks pawning off hens as 1-1 1/2 yr olds when they are truly 3+ yrs old:( Either way I hope your hens give you eggies soon:)

6. TheLadyChickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Williamston, MI
    Haha yeah I was worried they were older but the lady was pretty trust worthy I think? Or so I hope! We moved their nesting box off the ground about a foot so I think they'll like that too (original owner had the boxes on the floor)! Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  7. TheLadyChickens

Aug 4, 2011
    Williamston, MI
    WE GOT OUR FIRST EGG TODAY!!! Yeahhhhh!!! I placed a fake Easter egg in there and sweet talked them last night [​IMG]

8. train2110

train2110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    YEAH for you! [​IMG]

A move like that can be stressful for chickens. They get very used to routine and does not take much for them to stop laying for a day or two.

9. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Yay!!! Isn't that first egg the greatest!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I thought maybe you were gonna say the Barry White worked!
    Was gonna warn you all hens are country music fans!
    If you don't believe me just listen close to the egg song they sing.
    Congrats on the first eggs, hopefully many more to come.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by