New Adult's will not socialize nor go in coop ????

thompsonjoe

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
My chickens have always been penned. Good size area. Live in upstate NY

Recently I was gifted 3 adult layers that were free range and they refuse to enter the coop and stay on a perch most of the day, Just before sunset they go down to eat. They have come down to lay eggs in dirt and then go back up.

Been a week now and no change. Came home this evening and there they are perched in the pouring rain....

suggestions ??

How long did you give them to get aquainted with your existing birds through a fence before putting them in with them? If you popped them right in with the existing flock they are probably getting bullied quite a bit so they are afraid to come down from their perch or to go into the coop. And rightfully so, chickens hate newcomers with a passion and without a slow introduction through a fence, a week or so is good though sometimes it takes longer, new birds can get pretty brutally attacked as well as chased away from food/water and roosts.

How long did you give them to get aquainted with your existing birds through a fence before putting them in with them?  If you popped them right in with the existing flock they are probably getting bullied quite a bit so they are afraid to come down from their perch or to go into the coop.  And rightfully so, chickens hate newcomers with a passion and without a slow introduction through a fence, a week or so is good though sometimes it takes longer, new birds can get pretty brutally attacked as well as chased away from food/water and roosts.

They free ranged around my coop for almost a year. The only bullying was done by my tiny Bantom rooster.

Back
Top Bottom