1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Adventure

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nova022, Sep 22, 2012.

1. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I let my 7 week old chicks free range for the first time today and they loved it. They had to be closely supervised because we have a pair of red tail hawks that nest in our yard and they seemed very interested, but did not approach with my husband and me standing guard. The chicks had a great time eating bugs and plants and taking dirt baths. I really hated to put them back in their run. I wish I could let them free range all day, but safety first.

1 person likes this.
  2. Chukarbuds

Chukarbuds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Colorado
    It is so fun to watch our babies roam outside ;D I have hawks around also. I have an advantage over them though. I live in CO and we have magpies. The Magpies dont let the hawks in the area. The down side to the Magpies is that they are loud and mean to other birds. I see em take baby birds right outta their nests and eat them :( We know when an owl or hawk is in the area because of how loud they get. Pats on the back for keeping them safe/supervised. Its time consuming after a while, but we will do anything for our babies :D Type in predators on the home page. There should be alot of posts in there about what people do to keep predators out, away from our chickens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by