new advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fwinfrey, Oct 13, 2011.

1. fwinfrey

fwinfrey New Egg

Oct 13, 2011
    Hi, I'm new to the site, but was hoping for some advice. About six months ago we purchased two baby chicks. Just recently we received a letter from our city saying we cannot have them. Since the city has a rooster that wonders the main street of downtown (8 blocks from my house) I didn't see having our chickens would be a problem. We are being told it's against code. Would it not also be against city code for the rooster that is allowed to walk freely downtown. Just doesn't make sense. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I recommend that you contact your representative on the city council and discuss it with him, and try to get the ordinance amended. Perhaps getting a petition with as many signatures as possible will help. Your local newspaper might be interested as well.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, fwinfrey and [​IMG]. Hope you get your chicken legal problems settled. Seems to me you should be able to keep them if there's already a rooster free ranging around town! Best of luck! [​IMG]

4. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from the coast of California. There is a topic here on this forum for folks like you. It is Laws and Ordinances. Read, then post your questions there. I'm sure you'll get some answers that will help you. Best of luck! [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Welcome to BYC. Local zoning laws trump just about everything. I hope you get your local ordinances turned to your favor, but there remain many, many places where chickens are still outlawed. The "sense" of it all is quite debatable, in lieu of the culture's propensity for cats and dogs, but it is what it is until you and others get the laws changed.

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I would check in the Local Chicken Laws and Ordanances section for the best help on that question.

[​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! Glad you joined! [​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Maybe there just to lazy to catch him. I would let them free in the neighborood, then you could still have them but they wouldnt be your fault anymore.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by