new again

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wasabisclucks, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Wasabisclucks

Wasabisclucks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    Hello,byc, my family is getting ready to keep a few chickens.Twenty some years ago I maintained a flock of about fifteen chickens my sister bought and forgot, but this is my first time setting up from scratch.We have a few breeds were thinking about (americauna, wyandotte, and barred rock), and we're not sure if we should settle on one or mix our first flock to find our ideal bird.We live in western pa.Any thoughts or advice?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi welcome to BYC!

Focusing on one breed or not depends on what you want to do, if you are just wanting for backyard pleasure and eggs a mixed flock is fine, in fact that gives opportunities to get some of the most craziest breeds out there while some limit themselves to one.

If you want to show or breed only picking one specific breed to start out with is essential and once you get the hang of one breed than adding another is no problem, in fact most breeders I see have more than one breed.

Enjoy your stay and I hope you have fun!

4. Wasabisclucks

Wasabisclucks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    I've also read that chickens that look different will clash, should we focus on birds with similar markings, or does raising them together eliminate this problem?

5. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    The aggression and pecking order in chickens is the same honestly, although it would be easier for a flock member to pick on one that's a different color so I would have to say if that is a concern to you I would pick only one breed or variety but most people who have mixed flocks seem to make it work.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Having raised chickens for 50 years, in my experience I don't think similar markings or colors are nearly as big a factor in aggressive behavior as the temperament of the breeds involved. The three breeds on your list are generally docile although there are occasionally aggressive individuals among them. Standard sized breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (potential lap pets) include Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list, and Cochins are the poorest (although they are the best brooders and mothers). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I personally enjoy mixed flocks. A mixed flock of breeds can be prettier to look at, and provides you with different colors and shades of eggs. I've found that breeds in mixed flocks get along fine with each other. You just want to make sure that you don't mix a very small or submissive breed, like Sillkies, Polish, or Orpingtons, with more dominating breeds (like Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Wyandottes)

The breeds that you're picked out sound like excellent choices! They, in my experience, have similar temperaments and would likely not fight, especially if raised together. I'm particularly a fan of the Wyandotte breed. My Wyandottes have been gentle, very good egg layers, hardy through heat (100 degrees) and cold (-20 degrees) and quite personable chickens. Ameraucanas or the more common Easter Egger, should provide you with plenty of lovely greenish or blue eggs. Barred Rocks also tend to be good egg layers.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock, I think the most picked on breeds are Polish and Silkies - because they don't look like regular chickens. However, if a bird decides to peck and bully, it doesn't care if the victim is a twin sister.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

I enjoy mixed flocks due to the greater variety of eggs, personality, colors, and shapes. Most breeds get along well in a mixed flock, so that isn't usually a problem.

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome to BYC! It must be exciting to start your own flock finally, enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by