1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Ameraucana Chicks...How long should they be on medicated starter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alagrace, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Alagrace

Alagrace Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    I just got these Ameraucana chicks and I'm wondering how long they should be on the medicated starter. How long do you all keep your chicks on it before going non-medicated. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

The recommended time period is 0 days - 8 weeks.

3. Alagrace

Alagrace Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Thank you! I bought another single Ameraucana that is about 10 weeks also, so I was curious if she should be on it too, but I think I'll put her on the grower feed that I have.

4. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Look at them sweet babies <3 gah they are just so cute!! I love how they even have fluffy little cheeks at that age! I'm super jelly, I should be getting some more Ameraucana's in a week or two!!

5. southernhusky

southernhusky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2015
    Has anyone ever noticed problems with starting on medicated feed? The protein difference I read on bag was 16% in the medicated and 24% on the dumor starter.. And I think 20% on the starter/grower. Will it matter much that the protein is a good bit lower on medicated? I know that is about the difference in puppy food vs adult dog food. Pups wouldnt die due to lack of protein but it certainly does help them thrive I feel.

Could I feed extra scrambled eggs to chicks if I feel they need the extra protein? I know ppl will feed that to adults.

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

If a feed brand is offering a medicated starter at only 16%, then you need to switch feed brands ASAP. That's far too low, and they have no idea what they are doing. Protein should go down over time - 20% to 18% to 16% for ADULTS. Starters should be, at a bare minimum, 18% protein. 20% is preferable and I personally use 22% with great results. 16% is layer level feed, and will result in slow growing, runty chicks. My first thought was that perhaps you were actually looking at a layer feed, except those should NEVER be medicated, as they will make the eggs inedible.

7. southernhusky

southernhusky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2015
    I will double check that as I already threw out my bag when I go tomorrow but I *think* it said 16%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by