New Ameraucana flock with PICS !!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Jan 22, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hi,
    I am interested in choosing two pullets to make up my trio of BBS ameraucana that hopefully I will be able to breed if he stays quite. I am going to be choosing two pullets his age to breed to him and want to know what would complement him breeding wise.

I took these while he was roosting and I scared him quite a bit his tail is much higher when he is not being acosted by a strange man in the night. The flash also washed out his blue he is a bit darker. I am getting them from he same breeder and I hope if all works out I will be adding more blood from different stock to improve them if it turns out I can keep him in my suburban neighborhood for the next year of two.

I know his lacing is not great and his carriage is probably not great either but his lacing looks better in person trust me. He is all I have to work with right now cockeral wise. What pullet characteristics will compliment him?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance,
    Henry

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I was thinking about one black pullet and one blue with better lacing and higher tail cairrage. What do you guys think?

3. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    I know nothing about this breed... [​IMG]

having said that, I still give my input! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    His feathers are a little light I think I would breed him to black pullets to improve the lacing on the blues. my 2 cents [​IMG]

ETA- *sigh* you beat me to the lacing thing while I was typing [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks the flash washes him out but I know I do need to improve lacing on him so I may end up getting one or two black pullets to breed to him.

Thanks,
    Henry

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Henry,

I think he is too immature still to make any decisions on him. I think he needs more time.

It's always a good cross to breed black to blue in my opinion.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    pips&peeps :

Henry,

I think he is too immature still to make any decisions on him. I think he needs more time.

It's always a good cross to breed black to blue in my opinion.

Thanks He is about 15 weeks now I was thinking he needed a bit more time I will defently be getting one black pullet as two people has suggested that.​

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    What do you think about his tail I am just not sure. Should I look for pullets with high tail? I am not really sure what they should look like?

Thanks,
    Henry

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You cannot tell what his tail carriage is going to be until he is mature. Is he in with other cockerels or roosters now?

If not, you need to get a picture of him while he is hanging out with the girls. They always tuck when they are scared.

The tail carrage is supposed to be
    TAIL: Well spread, medium length, carried at 45º above horizontal, sickles well-curved.​

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    pips&peeps :

You cannot tell what his tail carriage is going to be until he is mature. Is he in with other cockerels or roosters now?

If not, you need to get a picture of him while he is hanging out with the girls. They always tuck when they are scared.

The tail carrage is supposed to be
    TAIL: Well spread, medium length, carried at 45º above horizontal, sickles well-curved.

I will try tomorrow he is a little show off around his favorite Marans girl he is the only cockeral but he is in with year old hens that are dominant to him as well so that might be the problem I will try and get a god picture of him with his little ladies while they are hanging out along. He protects them from the big hens already and they fallow him around it great.

Thanks again,
    Henry​

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have been looking through old posts and I want something that looks like cyn's Nora, Snow, or Gypsy are they good choices they look perfect to me I am in love! I must have [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by