New Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunkistfarm, Jul 2, 2010.

1. sunkistfarm

sunkistfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    I ordered 25 chicks from a mail order hatchery due to arrive at the end of the month. 23 females and 2 males as I will split the order with a co-worker. Is there anyway to tell which ones are male when they arrive so we can split them?
    Also I have a BR hen sitting on 23 eggs that are due to hatch the end of the month. Is it safe to put the mail order chicks with the newly hatched ones or will the hen hurt them?
    Thanks.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I don't think you would be able to tell the male chicks from the females, and will just have to wait til they are older to see if you each got 1.
    Im not sure about the chicks with the hen [​IMG] that seems like a lot of chicks and not sure if its good to put them with her.

3. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

We put mail order and hatched chicks together, hatched were 10 days older. No problems, but we had plenty of room for them.

No, you will not be able to tell males unless they are marked. Pehaps you could call the hatchery and see if they are willing to mark them. Some do.

It has been my experience when getting sexed chicks that out of 25 you will get 1 or 2 boys when you order pullets. Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by