New and Antsy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dawnshka, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Dawnshka

Dawnshka Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    HI. I'm a new chicken farmer and absolutely love my girls. They were purchased from Agway and from what I understand, they got them from the hatchery. I got the day old chicken in a box. I had only wanted 3 then was talked into 4 then when they called to say that my babies had arrived... I could only get them in lots of 6! Ugh, what was I getting myself into. A friend of mine said not to worry since a few will probably die off anyways. And now here I am with 6 still... healthy, beautiful, sassy, chicks. I couldn't have imagined losing any.

So, I've got 2 of each... Golden Commet "Sunny and Brownie", Black Australorp "Midnight and Speckles", Auaucana "Hammy and Omlette". Brownie gave me the first egg of the group 2 weeks ago. That's my image. :) so proud to her and me of course. LOL

My daughter, 9, gets home from school and checks the egg status. My son, 12, helps on occasion.

I had them free range but they would poop everywhere... they'd get on my deck railing and stare at us in the house, and they'd even go in the road on our busy street. I also though about feeding the ladies all this time and them they go out in the woods and lay their eggs, never to be found. So I personally built a fence for the ladies. I now understand blood, sweat, and tears.

I look forward to getting some of my questions answered on this site. It seems that every time I have a question and I Google it, this site had the answers. :) Love it and glad to be part of it now.

Thanks for reading.
    Dawn

2. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Welcome aboard Dawn! Lots of great info and peeps here.

Chicks are an addiction!

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I have mine in their coop/run most of the time because of the poop factor too lol ;)

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Sounds like a nice little flock you have there, congratulations on your first egg and may they lay many more for you.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] How nice, the first egg of many to follow

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by