new and confused

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sid, Mar 14, 2011.

1. sid

sid Hatching

Mar 14, 2011
    hi
    im just trying to start up with chickens and ducks and get as much info and advice as poss brain starting to hurt and still unsure of several things, oh well will get there eventually.

2. TinaSwarr

TinaSwarr Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    I am in the same place you are, but I have settled to realize that yes i will make mistakes hopefully only little ones. think of it as a learning experience.and do not be afraid to ask questions no matter how stupid you think they are, i have had people shake their heads and walk away but either way it was kind of an answer.

3. twister

twister Songster

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    you're in the right place. People here are very knowledgable and can help you out thru just about any situation. May I suggest picking up a book from your local lib or co-op called Storey's Guide to Chickens . That book is my reference to things poultry related. I am fairly certain there are more books from that author on ducks, goats, etc....

Mypetchicken.com has an online guide that is spot on, too.

hope this helps.

welcome to BYC

4. MSDeb

MSDeb Songster

[​IMG] welcome, read everything and ask lots of questions. This forum has a wealth of information and lots of experts. There are also a lot of newbies too so it's a pretty balanced site. Unfortunately, we have all learned some lessons at our birds expense. We just have to get smarter and not repeat our mistakes.

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Hey! WELCOME to BYC!!!

You will learn a whole lot by reading thru all the forum posts (there's a wealth of info here).
    I just bought my first baby chicks a few weeks ago after having spent a year on this forum reading and learning.
    And just this morning the truck delivered the lumber for my chicken coop. [​IMG]

I'm really excited about building my own coop (I know nothing about building ANYTHING so this should be interesting).

The Raising Chickens for Dummies book has helped me a lot in learning about chickens.
    It's a good book for those of us who are new to the chick world.
    You can find it anywhere; I got mine from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0470465441

I also bought the Building Chicken Coops For Dummies book that I'm using now to build our coop.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0470598964

WELCOME, again, and GOOD LUCK!!!!!

[​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    sid and TinaSwarr....:/welcome to BYC. You'll begin to fit all the pieces together as you experience chickens first hand, and whenever those pieces start falling apart, just come back to BYC for help! Or you can be like me and spend so much time on BYC your hubby starts to think you really are crazy, luckily he likes "well done" food.

8. sid

sid Hatching

Mar 14, 2011
    hello to everyone

thanks for all the support i've already recieved i am already hooked and can't wait for our ducks and chickens, luckily for me my hubby is nearly as excited as me about them and is currently building my duck house.yeah! off to see if i can find some of those answers i need. thanks to all.

9. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Songster

Oct 19, 2010
    Montgomery County, TX
    Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: