new and confused

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bellarose, Aug 14, 2013.

1. bellarose

bellarose New Egg

May 8, 2012
    I have a issue not by choice but I do have this issue.. I have a bannie hen and two roosters a polish and a cochen . Well I know everyone knows one of the issues my poor Bannie won't be left alone.. I am trying to get rid of the polish but not having any luck and I just can let him go free.. But my other question is since her eggs are fertile if they were to hatch would there be a issue with this due to the roosters not being bantham and the hen being a bantam .. Might be a dumb question but I have no clue how this works.. She just started laying egga about 2 months ago she gives me one every day and I am very proud of her she is so tame and sweet .. Please help me out on the silly question.. Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If the eggs of your bantam hen are actually fertile by the large fowl roosters there are no issues. The chicks will develop normally in the egg and when they mature they will be about midsize between the bantam and large fowl.

In a situation like this sometimes the eggs aren't actually fertile because of the size difference of male and female . Mating is attempted but just isn't always successful.

3. DuckiesGarden

DuckiesGarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I'm not trying to be rude asking a question here, but mine is almost the same as yours just opposite! I have a banty roo that managed to make fertile eggs with my standard size hens. Does Old Rando's comment apply to this situation too or not? One of the eggs has been due to hatch for a few days now and I'm worried because it hasn't cracked out yet.

4. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yes it applies, including the problems of mating success because of size difference. I personally have had more problems with fertility issues with bantam males and large fowl females than the other way around. If your egg hasn't hatched and it is past due and it actually was fertile and developed, it has nothing to do with the size of the parents. There is a problem of some other sort Many problems can occur during incubation.

5. DuckiesGarden

Nov 20, 2012
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Thanks for the info! My roo has somehow overcome the size difference because almost every egg has been fertile! I was definitely surprised! I was also intrigued because I wondered if the chicks from the EE eggs would be banty sized EE mix. I'd love to have some banty EE's. It's one of those blue eggs that's overdue, I'm hoping I miscalculated the hatch time instead of it dying so close to hatching! Thanks again for the help!

6. DuckiesGarden

Nov 20, 2012
    Indiana
    My Coop
    BTW...Bellarose-Your roo is beautiful! I'd buy him in a heartbeat but my new chicken privelages have been suspended for awhile! I've got close to 40 and my hubby said no more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by