New and curious

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchik715, Sep 2, 2009.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    If you have chickens for eggs and /or meat....how cost effective do you find it to be? Also, for a small flock of say 10 birds.....non-organic food....can i get by on one feed bag a month?

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Not cost effective at all ! But it sure is good eatin' ! Once you have a few, you want more and more and more! Think of the expense like a hobby. Much enjoyment and relaxation along the way.
    Good luck, and [​IMG]

3. NatalieB

NatalieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Ashby, MA
    At first you think about those types of questions but then the obession sets in and you forget all about it!
    I have 18 birds for eggs and I got through about 50lbs every 3 weeks. They free range a lot and get way too many treats ie corn, rice, ect. Depends on what type of birds and what you want them for.
    This was supposed to be a couple chickens only, and it has turned nuts. Great hobby though. [​IMG]

4. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have 30 and go through 1 bag of pelleted food per week at $11/bag. When I was using crumbles they went thru a bag every 2-3 days. They wasted most of it. The pellets have virtually no waste because if they spill it they pick it off the floor.
    If I have 2 doz eggs/day and sell them for $2/doz then thats $112 per month then deduct what we eat from that. Also factor in bags of pine shavings, grit, oyster shell, scratch, treats and the profit basically justs pays for it but you eat free. Factor in the work involved and you're at a loss but you can't put a price on the fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by