1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New and desperate! Help me!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stacyjay, Dec 6, 2016.

1. stacyjay

stacyjay New Egg

Dec 6, 2016
    [​IMG]Hi! I've fallen victim to stray roosters. I do not live in a country area however I noticed a house about a mile or so away that has a variety of rooster type animals free roaming. Maybe these came from them? Yesterday I came home from work to my landscape dug up and 3 roosters there. I put some corn (I feed the squirrels) out for them and now I fear they moved in. There's supposed to be artic temps this week and I worry about their well being. They did leave at sunset yesterday and returned at sunrise making rooster noises this morning. How can I figure out if they have a home, if they are strays, or what should I do to help them survive frigid temps? I don't want these things but i don't think I have much of a choice. I'm not rooster savvy and have no idea what I'm dealing with. Please help! I'm panicking. I see the feather footed guy lifting his feet up and shaking so I think that means it's cold?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I think your best bet is to get rid of them, quite frankly. Unless you want to get a flock of hens to keep them happy and even then they'll likely fight quite a lot amongst the three of them. Does your town have a community Facebook page where you can post lost/found pets? Can you stop by the house down the road and see if maybe it's their birds who are just roaming over to your place?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I think that I'd be inclined to pay a visit to the place closest to you that has chickens.

Best wishes
    CT

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

So sorry this has occurred. It's a shame some people are unwilling to deal with the animals they are responsible for. Those appear to be young bantam cockerels - the one in front is a beautiful d'Uccle.

Do you own any dog crates or cages? If you can catch them, they would do well in crates for the time being. If you can pick up some grower or flock raiser feed from a feed store, that is the ideal diet for them. You might try contacting local animal shelters - many of them take in chickens these days.

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've been given some helpful ideas so I'll just wish you good luck!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The first roo is beautiful - if you listed him by his breed name, I bet someone would want him . You also might want to Google: chicken rescue in your state, or post on your state thread as well. You might find some takers.

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I am glad you joined us!

8. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC, and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by