New and have questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jhrutkay, Feb 9, 2009.

1. jhrutkay

jhrutkay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    I am getting some eggs. Trying to decide whether to put them under a hen or in incubator. Thought about doing half and half just for the fun of it.

My question is this. It is still pretty cold here...........I have chickens in barn which is not heated.........

Can I put the broody hen in a large rabbit cage during this time period to separate her from the rest of the chickens. Was thinking about using a rabbit nest box for the eggs........it is about 10 inches x 12 inches. Is that big enough. Hen is a silkie...........want to put about 10 eggs in there....eggs are silkie, hamburg and cochin.

Thanks for the help............

2. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Well, 10 inch X12 inch is not big enough to give mom room to eat and poop off the nest. They do not leave the nest for long but do get up to poop and eat about once a day. I would seperate her in a dog kennel or something of the size. So she can be put in a warmer environment. I just did a hatch as well. I put some in the bator and some under froo froo broody pants hen. ALL her eggs hatched and only half in the bator did. Nothing like nature!!! Best of luck to you! Have a great hatch. Let me know how it turns out!!!! [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I agree! Wire dog kennels work the best and give them plenty of room with food, water and to poo.

4. jhrutkay

jhrutkay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    The nesting box is 10 x 12........the entire cage is 36 inches x 36 inches........

5. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I see. I thought you were talking about seperating her and keeping her in a 10 inch by 12 inch cage. Sorry. If you seperate her for hatching than a 3 foot cage would be fine. Giving her a nesting area and some room to eat drink and stretch. [​IMG] Most nesting boxes are 12x12 but I think 10x12 would be okay. It sounds like you are going to have some nice eggs to hatch. (silkie, hamburg and cochin.) Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by