new and having mixed feelings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by only4ghosts, Apr 9, 2012.

1. only4ghosts

only4ghosts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    I very recently joined NYC and I am having mixed feelings about this site. I have picked up a bunch of great advice but have also gotten some very nasty private messages and been really turned off by the elitist attitudes of some seasoned BYCers. Anyone else had this experience?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

No but you can report any such post by clicking on the little pink flag.

If it's in a PM you can 'invite' a moderator to join the conservation.

Bullying is never OK.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It has been known to happen, unfortunately. Different forums within BYC have different "regulars" and some places are dicier than others.

I hang out in Random Ramblings and the Incubation sections, often heading over to see Pictures and Stories of my Chickens, then I check the Duck and then the Geese forums.

Ignore the bastids and report the rude PMs to admin. There is SO much else so very positive in BYC!

4. gabirder

gabirder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    There are always those folks around. [​IMG]

There is a lot of good information here, report 'em and look for the bright stuff.

[​IMG] from the gateway to the Okefenokee Swamp and the Folkston Funnel - a train watchers paradise!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

I am very sorry to hear that you have been treated rudely. That certainly not the kind of regular behavior you will find on BYC. Report them, then come hang out at the michigan thread - We are all very friendly :p

6. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

First off Welcome and second I'm so sorry you've had a bad experience. I've been with BYC for about 7 weeks now and I have to say I really don't think that's the norm. People on here are generally very helpful and nice. I would report them if it happens again. Take care and again[​IMG] from Southern California!

7. DamselinFlannel

DamselinFlannel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Coulterville, Illinois
    I love this site. You won't find better advice anywhere on chickens. That being said, I have stayed away from a lot of the breed discussions because some of them take very nasty turns.

Overall, I think you will love this site if you give it a chance. For me, the invaluable information outweighs the occasional snippy comments.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. So sorry about the bad experiences. I hope the good for out weighs the bad. :thumbsup

9. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    I'm very sorry you've been having a bad experience. I have too, in the past, and it isn't pleasant while it's happening. I tend to talk to newbies more nowadays, because they mopstly appreciate any advice given. :lol:
    You can use the report button, or block the users that you've been getting nasty PMs from. This means they can't send you messages anymore and you can't see their posts. I think this feature is pretty handy. :lol: Good luck. I really hope you can have some good experiences on the site too, because there are plenty to be had. :)

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Really sorry to hear that you've encountered some rude people on here [​IMG] There are so many friendly people on here, but there can be troublesome ones anywhere. Just report them and enjoy the positive parts of BYC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by