New and Improved Homemade Incubator Testing: Results

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Sep 21, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    So last night I plugged our 100q Igloo ice chest homemade incubator in to adjust the temp. and everything. I left it on all night to see if it would steady itself by morning. I woke up and since it's usually always cold in the morning now, the temp. in the incubator(measured by a temp. probe and water wiggler) was 95*F, which is waay too cool. The light bulb is at 40 watts. I'm going to try switching it to 60watts and see if that works better.

Picture of incubator:
    [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Thermostat?

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:?

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Do you have one? What kind?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I use a wafer thermostat like the little styrofoam bators use in my 48 qt cooler-bator and a 60-watt bulb. The directions are in the link in my sig line.

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    No I don't have a thermostat; all this wiring and stuff gives me a headache and is REALLY confusing! [​IMG] [​IMG] Even after reading the obvious instructions, I have no idea what to do. First of all, I don't have a lamp kit. It's some kind of light that I plug in; hard to explain. [​IMG] [​IMG] So I have absolute NO idea how to wire a thermostat, fan, light, etc....

Ugh I need to get a fan from somewhere! [​IMG] But I have no idea where!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I wish I could find a junk yard that I could just freely get a fan from an old computer disc drive; but I can't. I have to buy one or something and my mom works and I don't drive or have a car. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry but this is all so confusing! Why can't we just buy an incubator?? Ugh but I know the answer to that; they are so expensive! [​IMG]

7. Grillo

Grillo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    77Horses,

You really need a thermostat. Without it you're just shooting into the dark. You won't be able to hatch. Read a little it's really not that difficult. Or get someone who can work the wires a little and have him set it up for you. Hope I haven't offended you.

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Where can I get a thermostat? How much will it cost?

And it's OK; you didn't offend me. [​IMG]

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Ugh I just wish I could get a new incubator for a cheaper price than $40. [​IMG]

Maybe I will just forget about this incubator and ask for a new one for my birthday or something; like one of the $40 ones for now. [​IMG] But I would have to wait until November. Oh well it would be waaayy easier than trying to put this incubator together.

Maybe I could use this incubator for a hatcher or to temporarily keep young chicks in(turn it into a brooder box)?

Any thoughts?

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Yesterday, the 60watt bulb is way too hot; it got to like 106*F in there. Oh and sorry need to make a correction; I was using a 20watt bulb, which wasn't enough, and then changed to a 60watt, which is way too much, so now I tried a 40watt. I just plugged it in and will see how it holds temp. to be used as a hatcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by