New and in need of advice!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shelley410s, Jul 7, 2011.

1. shelley410s

shelley410s New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Hi from Orange County, CA! As a new and, until today, happy mother of (6 ) two-month old chicks, I am horrified by the girls' behavior and need help on two fronts. One- today the chicks, led by the turken, attacked and pecked all the feathers from base of the tail of the ameracauna. It's now a bloody mass. How do I protect her and why are they picking on only her? I've now separated her into a pen where they can still see each other and hoping that won't further alienate her from the flock. Two- How do I treat her wound? Thanks so much for any and all advice!

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Welcome to BYC. You did well to separate her, since once the others see blood they will keep pecking. If you go to the index and then to the section on emergencies and injuries, you will find advice on how to treat her. There is a search feature if you need it or you can just look through the thread titles. I would think cleaning the wound with water would help; I keep Betadine on hand to wash injuries. Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment is OK to use, just avoid anything with one of the "...caine" drugs in it, such as lidocaine, benzocaine, etc. Keep her separated for a few days so you can keep the woulnd clean and dry to help it heal faster. Don't be horrified; chickens just do this. It's how they establish their pecking order.

3. ashleylancaster

ashleylancaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    ALABAMA
    A BIG [​IMG] FROM ALABAMA. MY MOM HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO HER. ONE CHICKEN HAD PECKED ALL THE FEATHERS OFF OF THE OTHER CHICKENS HEAD WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER, SO THEY PUT HER IN A SEPERATE PEN SO SHE COULD HEAL UP. WHEN SHE GOT OLDER SHE PUT HER BACK IN THE BIG PEN, BUT THEN SHE STARTED PICKING ON THE ONE WHO HAD PICKED ON HER SO THEY JUST KEEP HER IN A SEPERATE PEN. THEY DIDNT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO THE WOUND IT HEALED UP ON ITS OWN BUT SHE IS STILL BALD.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! You can also try using Blue Kote to cover the wound and helps the healing process. Sometimes they are just bored, overcrowded, etc. and sometimes they are just trying to establish their pecking order. Hope you can get your little one all healed!! [​IMG]

5. shelley410s

shelley410s New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Thanks for the advice! This week I've been putting them in their new run during the day while we finish building the coop. At night, I put them back in the big dog crate I was using as a brooder. The turken has always been the 'queen' chick but today she pecked at ALL of the others (1 each welsummer, ameracauna, RIR, buff orpington, and dominique) until they all turned on the ameracauna.
    Do you think she's re-establishing herself in the new space? She's one of my most affectionate and favorite chicks...

6. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    [​IMG] Im glad you came here, my knowledge of chickens and chicken owning grows everyday on this website. i 2nd the advice already given. Is she the smallest? once a chick bleeds the other chicks peck peck peck it! wait till she heals. If its one chick starting it, separate it as it might have cannibilism issues, and or be just plain mean. Separating it may teach it a lesson.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice with the Blue kote. I keep some handy all the time for any red spots that might get them pecking. [​IMG]

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG]

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] and good luck!

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude