1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New and interesting use for a turkey baster with injector needle.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spookyevilone, Nov 22, 2008.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I bought a HovaBator and the fan kit and followed all the advice on here to get it to the proper temp/humidity. Whenever I reached in to add water, I'd lose heat/humidity stasis and I know I can have a differential of a few degrees for a short time, but I'm a nervous new quail mommy who sits there staring at the AcuRite monitor thing until it hits stasis again.

I was looking at the air holes, and remembered I had a needle adapter for my turkey baster. On a whim, I tried it and it fit with room to spare, so no damaging the styrofoam.

So now I can add warm water to the sponge and bottom reservoir without opening the 'bator!

-Spooky

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've always used an meat injector syringe to fill the bators, with a straw on the end. Works like a charm!

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I almost was afraid to read your post. The title sounded kinda "frankenstienish" [​IMG] But , hey, that's a great idea. Thanks.

4. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:OOOH! I didn't even think of using a straw too! That'd extend the reach and let me put the water right on the sponges! Thanks! [​IMG]

5. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:HEE! [​IMG] No, I save my experimenting for the other possible ways to hatch. The darn Coturnix haven't figured out it's winter and I'm still getting at least one egg, sometimes two, a day from each of 'em! I built a 'bator but couldn't get it to regulate temp for love or money. Tried a heating pad on the advice of the person I got the quail from but that didn't work either, have one set up in a food dehydrator set at 99.5, with a fan and dish of water - I'll let you know in two weeks how that does [​IMG]

Then my button laid its first egg and I went to the feed store and bought a HovaBator. Those, I do not want to experiment with. Hence the freaking out about temp and humidity dips.

-Spooky

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use a plain old turkey baster to fill my water wells and sponge.

7. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm using a straw and a little funnel. Don't have a turkey baster. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by