New and Learning Everyday...

Hockeyjohn

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014
Taylor, TX
Hello everyone!

Just joined this site and looking forward to what's ahead! I am new to chickens. Been at this a whole 3-1/2 months now! I had always wanted to have chickens, just never had any, until recently, when my 12 year old son brought me 2 from his 6th grade science class. Their class incubated 25 eggs and hatched 18 chicks as part of their embryology segment last spring.

The chicks were hatched on May 1st. When the chicks were 1 week old, the students were allowed to sign up to take them home. He knew I always wanted some, so he got 2 for me, and here I am... I have no idea what the breed(s) are, so I'm totally open to suggestions at this point. Been doing a lot of reading and research, but still confused and have no idea! I'm fairly certain the black one is a male, as he crows all the time. The grey/silver one, hard to tell... Have heard him/her crow a few times, but not very much at all. Still not sure if it's a male or female. again, open to y'alls expertise. Thank you for any input you may have.

Hope you like the pics!

John
Taylor, TX

@HockeyjohnI'm new too but I had to say " welcome !" And wow very pretty feather pattern on your chicken!

I found an article about the 5 most common back yard chickens online.

http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/animals/poultry/top-5-backyard-chicken-breeds/

Then I looked up the name on Google images. That's how I was able to identify my two chickens. Then I just verified it in the chicken encyclopedia.

Maybe this helps. God bless!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and are here to help.

X2 if they are crowing, they are roosters. The darker one is definalty a roo. He looks to be a maran. The other one looks like an EE.

They are both gorgeous!

Glad you joined!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. Thanks for posting the pics and X2 on Mountain Peeps. You have a Marans cockerel and an Easter Egger cockerel. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your birds.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

They sure are pretty!!

I hope you can keep roosters in your area. :)

Back
Top Bottom