New and need advice!!

akorpi

Hatching
Nov 8, 2015
Ishpeming, Michigan
This is our first time raising chicks. We started out with 6 and after some unfortunate predator incidents and 2 more wandering too far away a few days ago, we are down to one hen :(!! We want to get more and from what I've read, she needs friends sooner than later, but it's difficult and takes time to introduce new birds...we live in the U.P. and winter is approaching quickly....what do we do???? Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
First, have you fortified your coop/run to assure no more losses? How old is the remaining bird?

Yes we have! There is fencing on the top of the coop and we have also covered that with clear, hard plastic roofing to keep the snow out of the coop. Our remaining hen is 7 months old.

Ah Ishpeming - My Uncle,Aunt .cousins lived there many years ago - couldn't forget a name like that.

I would also suggest you check out predator threads - everything loves to eat chicken. Do/did you free range your birds?

Yes we do free range them and usually throughout the day I would call for them to make sure they were all nearby. Friday afternoon I went calling for them and only Bowser came running.

welcome-byc.gif

Have you checked out the buy-sell-trade forum (free re-homing threads are there too)? Once you have 20 posts you can use that part of BYC and might be able to find a POL girl or two to keep Bowser company.

I haven't yet...we were gonna get more in the spring, but are we better off getting chicks now or waiting till Spring? I don't want her to be lonely, but I want them to be safe...

I haven't yet...we were gonna get more in the spring, but are we better off getting chicks now or waiting till Spring? I don't want her to be lonely, but I want them to be safe...

If your coop is ready enough for 1, I'd say go for it now. It seems to me (maybe I'm wrong?) it would be easier for her to get used to new friends now rather than after she has been alone a lot longer.

Have you talked to the members on your state thread? They might have some good advice for your weather, and any other issues you might have in your area:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697050/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome

The issue I'm having is being able to order only 6! Everywhere I've called required 15-25 minimum order. We are not set up for that many...I am so bummed :( and feel bad for Bowser being by herself...

The issue I'm having is being able to order only 6! Everywhere I've called required 15-25 minimum order. We are not set up for that many...I am so bummed
sad.png
and feel bad for Bowser being by herself...

Maybe you could share an order with someone? You'd want at least 2-3 so if something happens to one, you won't be back to having a lone bird.

Back
Top Bottom