New and need advice!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by akorpi, Nov 8, 2015.

1. akorpi

akorpi New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    Ishpeming, Michigan
    This is our first time raising chicks. We started out with 6 and after some unfortunate predator incidents and 2 more wandering too far away a few days ago, we are down to one hen :(!! We want to get more and from what I've read, she needs friends sooner than later, but it's difficult and takes time to introduce new birds...we live in the U.P. and winter is approaching quickly....what do we do???? Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] First, have you fortified your coop/run to assure no more losses? How old is the remaining bird?

3. akorpi

akorpi New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    Ishpeming, Michigan
    Yes we have! There is fencing on the top of the coop and we have also covered that with clear, hard plastic roofing to keep the snow out of the coop. Our remaining hen is 7 months old.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Ah Ishpeming - My Uncle,Aunt .cousins lived there many years ago - couldn't forget a name like that.

I would also suggest you check out predator threads - everything loves to eat chicken. Do/did you free range your birds?

5. akorpi

akorpi New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    Ishpeming, Michigan
    Yes we do free range them and usually throughout the day I would call for them to make sure they were all nearby. Friday afternoon I went calling for them and only Bowser came running.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Have you checked out the buy-sell-trade forum (free re-homing threads are there too)? Once you have 20 posts you can use that part of BYC and might be able to find a POL girl or two to keep Bowser company.

7. akorpi

akorpi New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    Ishpeming, Michigan
    I haven't yet...we were gonna get more in the spring, but are we better off getting chicks now or waiting till Spring? I don't want her to be lonely, but I want them to be safe...

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    If your coop is ready enough for 1, I'd say go for it now. It seems to me (maybe I'm wrong?) it would be easier for her to get used to new friends now rather than after she has been alone a lot longer.

Have you talked to the members on your state thread? They might have some good advice for your weather, and any other issues you might have in your area:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697050/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome

9. akorpi

akorpi New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    Ishpeming, Michigan
    The issue I'm having is being able to order only 6! Everywhere I've called required 15-25 minimum order. We are not set up for that many...I am so bummed :( and feel bad for Bowser being by herself...

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Maybe you could share an order with someone? You'd want at least 2-3 so if something happens to one, you won't be back to having a lone bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by