new and need some advice

colleen123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 5, 2013
Southern California
Hi my name is colleen I'm from southern California and just got my two girls. The first two days my hens would come out of there coop and into there run today they only came out once or twice and go back in. Is this normal? Aso they don't come out of the coop unless I go out there and push them out. They are 6 months old and I also need to know how to make them happy to start producing eggs. There runIs a nice size and they have food water and snacks. Starting noticing to that one is pecking at the other one. All aswers or advice would be great.

Hi Colleen.
It sounds like maybe your girls are just a little stressed from moving to a new place. Some breeds mature later than others, but if you're sure your girls are 6 months old, I'd bet that as soon as they settle in, they'll start laying eggs for you. Also, some breeds (leghorns, for example) are naturally more skittish than others and this may be the case with yours. Do you know what breed they are?

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe there is something nearby that scares them. (A predator such as a dog or larger birds flying above?)

Welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!!
welcome-byc.gif

Hi Colleen,

I had a similar situation when I first got my girls. What breed are your birds? I have leghorns and Rhode Island Reds which are both great layers but it took them almost a month to start laying again. I am pretty sure that they will come out of the coop more and more as they get adjusted to their new home and you as well. If there treats are readily available, maybe pull them back out and only give it to them when you go out to them. Bring them some table scraps and so forth to bribe them a bit. Primarily, just make sure they have what they need. Water, layer feed, oyster shell and grit. They'll come around.

Greetings from Kansas, Colleen123, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! I agree with the above posters - give your girls some time and they will adjust to their new surroundings. Good luck to you and have fun!

Thank u so much for the help. As it go a little cooler and I went out to give them some kale they came out more than ive seen. I do have a dog so mabe I should onlet the dog out when there not out. I'm going to try the table scrap thing to so they know I'm the one who feeds them good lol. Thank u again. Oh I have oxford hens here is a pic.

Can some one tell me when my hens should come out of there coop in the morning. I don't see them come out until mid day. I have to push them out in the morning to come out. Should I just let them come out on their own

I would say you can push them out but I would probably just let them come out on their own. After pushing them out, they probably just turn around and go back in. Depending on your coop set up and the interest your dog is paying to them, that may be some of the problem. Generally, they should come out at first light on their own. Do you have a perch in their run? They like to sit on a perch so if the only one they have is in the coop, that could be why they like it in there better. You could also try hanging a head of cabbage or something like that in their run. That will give them entertainment and a snack and more reason to come out of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom