new and seeking advice

graxymo

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 24, 2016
ive done a lot of research online looking at the care of a flock i feel competent enough to do it but something that no site ever agreed on was what size area for each chicken so i was wondering if i posted pictures of my coop and the area that will be fenced off for them if someone would advise me on what my max flock size would be

Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird in the indoor coop, and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outside run. If you have bantams they can do with somewhat smaller areas. Bigger is always better. Once chicken addiction strikes you will want more and more birds. Chickens hate being overcrowded and react in very unpleasant ways.

I read that giving the whole flock laying feed is bad for the males is that true

Hi and welcome to BYC. In response to your question regarding feed - apparently its not good in the long term for roos to eat layers feed. An alternative is to give growers / general flock food and provide crushed oyster shells (or crushed limestone) as an option for your girls. They will know when they need calcium, so leaving it separate enables you to feed your flock appropriately, and have healthy layers. Hope this helps.

All the best
CT

Thanks every one for your help and being so friendly it's a whole new side of the internet for me

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on drumstick diva and CTKen's comments regarding size and feed.

There's a ton of information available here on BYC. Have you checked out the articles in the Learning Center?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom