new and smelly!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken7777, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    hi, my chicks are about two weeks old and i have noticed that they are pooping a type of diarrea that is very smelly....is this normal, why is this happening and is there a way to stop it from happening? thank you

2. Chicken7777

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    i would appreciate the help because other it is smelling horribly.....any chick experts outt there? thanks

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    what are you feeding them? it's normal to occasionally have runny poos, and they should get back to normal droppings, if they're not sick. i was holding my cochin babies last night, and one pooped on me normal, and then a really stinky diarrhea poo. she's fine, and all appears normal again this morning.

4. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Some stinky diharrea poo is normal, it is called cecal poo assuming they produce normal droppings as well they are not sick. Also some feeds seem to create stinky poo, so if you have to brood in the house all winter you might try a different brand.

I clean early and clean often, this has the additional plus of not only reducing smell, but decreases that greasy, dusty dander that so many of us are allergic to, as well.

I also found that I need to keep anything cleaned up in closed (tied shut) garbage bags, since that smell can realy travel.

Different people have different sensitivitities, many people seem to not be bothered at all by the odour of chickens. However, if you are one of those that is, I urge you to deal with the problem by simply cleaning as often as necessary to eliminate it. Life is too short to spend it being annoyed by the things we love.

5. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Yup, cecal poop... stinky stuff, and if you don't keep up with it, the chicks will have it on their feet and you... Good luck!

6. Chicken7777

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    I see know, didnt know that...it is pretty stinky....why is it that it happens, becuase i always thought they pood normally always, that type of normal food digested poop...right now i am feeding them starter feed so they are good to go...Thanks!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    For the first 2 wks of life my chicks start off in a wire brooder. I put some pine shavings down with some DE in it and it helps dry up the poop and not so smelly. Also having the chicks in the litter, helps the chicks in resistance to cocci.

Here is a picture of my brooder
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  8. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    just trying to help, but my full grown chicken has been pooping diarea because of the certain things she eats. she eats certain things because she has a crooked beak. also, when i hatched my chicks, i fed them hard boiled egg and some of their poo was runny, but not all of it. Hope I was help![​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    *chicken+quail=luv* :

just trying to help, but my full grown chicken has been pooping diarea because of the certain things she eats. she eats certain things because she has a crooked beak. also, when i hatched my chicks, i fed them hard boiled egg and some of their poo was runny, but not all of it. Hope I was help![​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by